Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NOD32 Antivirus - is it any good?

• Please log in to reply

Fox07

Fox07

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
A friend has just told me about Nod32 antivirus and I have downloaded the free 30 day trial - it has picked up two infections so far that my AVG antivirus has failed to do. My friend says she has been recommended it by someone who knows a lot about computers and that she is going to buy the full version when the trial runs out. Has anybody else here used it and what do you think about it please. Thanks. :whistling:

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section but I wasn't sure where to put it. :blink:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Haven't used it but this table puts it well ahead of the competition, with avg well down near the bottom. The VB100% is the internationally-recognised standard by which all antivirus products are tested and rated.
http://www.nod32.com...pare_vb100.html

Of course, effectiveness is very important, but so to is ease of use, reliability of the update service etc. The VB100 tests do not take these things into account. But if effectiveness and detection-rates is all that matters to you then Nod32 is the one to have. If your friend can vouch for it being easy to use and update, then I should go for it.

Personally, I prefer to use a combined antivirus + firewall package (currently that's ZoneAlarm Security Suite) as there's less chance one will conflict with the other, plus it's just easier to install and manage from a single control panel. but that's just my preference.

Edited by pip22, 12 February 2007 - 10:53 AM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I've been using NOD32 for a year and a half now, and in that time I've never had any spyware or viral infections..

In my opinion, it's the best antivirus available, well worth its price.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for the replies. My friend is sort of a novice on the computer like me so I don't really think she will know if its easy to use or not - I think she has only just installed it yesterday. I have the free Zone alarm firewall - is the Zone alarm antivirus expensive?

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I use the NOD32 and its clearly the best anti-virus software i've ever used :whistling: . i've tried norton, mcafee, avg, kaspersky, pc-cillin but each one of them had its own set of severe disadvantages. the main things that really made me love NOD32 are complete protection from all sorts of threats, very quick installation [if u know what your doing :blink: ], proper active updates and last but the best, it uses very very little resources of your PC. no really; even if you have all protection features enabled along with updation and active system scanning switched on, there'll still be no slowing down of your PC [even startups are normal] and your web surfing will also be normal. infact, on some PCs NOD32 has actually increased speeds! plus in the middle east market its also the cheapest AV program you can buy, which means that its value for money goes right thru the roof.
i would recommend it to anyone, so don't hesitate if you're buying it, but if you still have doubts [especially in the area of ease of use] then i say you get the trial first.

Fox07

Fox07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for your reply :blink: I will try the 30 day trial and see what I think at the end of it - not that I will know if its good or bad or not :whistling: