Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem Establishing Dial-Up Connection

• Please log in to reply

GregR

GregR

• Pip
  • 4 posts
To Whom It May Concern:

I'm attempting to establish a dial-up connection on a friend's PC as per the steps below:

1) Network and Internet Connections

2) Set up or change your Internet connection

3) New Connection Wizard

4) Connect to the Internet

5) Set up my connection manually

6) Connect using a dial-up modem

Unfortunately, the 'Connect using a dial-up modem' option is grayed out, and the only option available is 'Connect using a broadband connection that is always on'.

I am also receiving the message 'Modem not detected' when I attempt to dial-up using the software provided by the ISP, but a modem is already installed in the COM1 port.

The operating system is Windows XP Home Edition

I would really appreciate it if someone could please explain what is going on, and advise I what I can do to rectify the situation.

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this will sound stupid, but are you sure

a) the computer has a modem

b) the modem is installed correctly?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
go into hardware properties and take a look at the modem. Does it have the yellow ! Windows help has a troubleshooter guide that should help you resolve this. If the modem is installed like you said, it may need to have a driver installed. Work through the guides right there at fingertips on your computer....

GregR

GregR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,

The modem is present and responding Please find attached the resulting log after I queried the modem - I have also updated the drivers, but this has not corrected the problem.

Apologies, my original post stated that the modem is installed on COM1, but it is actually COM7.

Thanks for your responses - further suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg

Attached File  ModemLog_SoftK56_Speakerphone_CARP.txt   4.32KB   86 downloads

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have a cable modem and use lan connection. But I do have a dial up configured which I can use if the cable modem is oos for some reason. If I go to internet explorer, tools, internet options, connections, it says never dial a connection. If I want to use the modem connection, I go to start, accessories, communication, network connections. There I can access all of my connections (modem, lan and firewire). I just click on the modem icon, and dial. It has been a while since I configured this and it was not hard to do. I will refer you back to the help troubleshooting guides in windows. All of the things I would suggest are already detailed right there.

GregR

GregR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Unfortunately, 'LAN' is the only option available as the modem icon is not present. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
you might try removing the modem from ad/remove hardware or from device manager screen, then try re-seating the modem. I would use a different slot if one is available. Then reboot and let windows find the new hardware, install it and go from there. Once again, using the windows troubleshooting guide will tell you this.\, you know...the one that comes with every windows installation. You don't need to take it here until you have exhausted those steps.

zoned

zoned

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Greg,
who are you trying to connect to? I have found that most ISP have either Software for setting up the connection or else they have instructions on their website with troubleshooting guides.....

GregR

GregR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
All,

Just a short note to let everyone know that the problem has been resolved.

Here are the instructions I received from the PC manufacturer's helpdesk just in case anyone else experiences the same problem:

Click on Start, then Run, and type in REGEDIT and press enter on your keyboard or click on OK. When the Registry Editor appears you will need to follow this path to find the two folders that need to be removed...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

Once in the EAP folder, remove the two folders numbered 25 and 26. Do not delete any other folders as this can result in serious errors. Once completed you will need to restart your PC. When your PC restarts the modem will then be available to make a new connection and your ISP settings should now be restored.

Thanks for help.

Kind regards,

Greg