Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best Buy PSP

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Hello,
I recently purchased a 30GB iPod from Best Buy and passed on their 3 year "Performance Service Plan" (PSP) for the iPod for $60. However, now I am debating whether I should still purchase the plan. Yes, I have researched and am still able to purchase the plan as long as my iPod is in the return/exchange period. I am debating the lack of a PSP, because I know the battery and hard drive will not last forever. But, will this happen within three years? That is my question. Is it advisable to purchase the PSP to go along with my iPod? Also, I'd like to know the estimated life expectancy for the iPod battery and hard drive.

Thank You,
Smokey

Edited by Smokey, 12 February 2007 - 01:49 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ipod batteries are notoriously poor if it conks out thats it the ipod is bricked unless you take it to a shop for a new battery(one of the few reasons i didnt buy an ipod). I would shop around for a another warranty service from someone reliable(doesnt apple have an extended warranty service) as best buy isnt exactly a beacon of corporate ethics i would go with someone else. 3 years is about as long as they will last so if it fails a little early then you are in luck but it can easily fail in 3 and a half years or four and youll be down $60 which i think is more than it costs to have the battery replaced(most common fault) HDD in most mp3 players of good quality should last a long time as they are built for rough and tumble.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Thank you for your advice, warriorscot. The $59.00 AppleCare Protection Plan For iPod is only effective for two years. I am also not sure if I am still able to even purchase it after the sale of the iPod.

I am considering the Best Buy PSP because of what I saw at their customer service the other day. I was behind a customer who first put her first generation shuffle on the counter. The clerk took it, scanned it, and scanned a pink second generation shuffle. The clerk asked the customer if she would like the $12.99, two year PSP for the new shuffle as well. The customer agreed. I could tell the she was getting an upgrade as part of the customer's PSP. I assume, that her first generation shuffle was bricked, and got a second genertaion shuffle as a replacement. The Best Buy PSP doesn't seem like a bad deal after what I saw that day.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I used to work for BB, I can tell you the PSP plans are good. However, I always had issues with the fact that just about everything else had a 5 year PSP while the electronics only had 3 years.

a lot of figuring out whether or not you have anything to worry about is based on a few different things to consider.
  • How much will you use it?
  • What are the chances that you drop it/or damage it in everyday use
  • How much did you pay for it, and is it worth repairing if it's more than 2 years old. (think about it, most computers are outdated by the time you purchase them off the shelf in the store)
These are just some ideas to think about, to help you decide whether or not it is in your best interest to split with $60 for a PSP.

Edited by Dragon, 12 February 2007 - 11:59 PM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I will not use it frequently. I will also the chances for a drop will be low. I treat this thing like a baby, at least initially. I do have it as a backup of my irreplaceable files, though. I spent $237 out-of-pocket to for it. To that, I have to add $30 on a bad skin I can not return, $10 on the skin I have now, plus $30 I will eventually spend on the AC Adapter. Is a replacement, like the one I mentioned before, available with a PSP? If it is and my iPod bricks, can't I just get a newer model, like the lady I mentioned before?

Edited by Smokey, 13 February 2007 - 12:28 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've had my ipod a year, the battery is terrible already. It's an iPod Video 30GB. The hard drive is fine though, but I have to admit - it's barely used now...

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

I will not use it frequently. I will also the chances for a drop will be low. I treat this thing like a baby, at least initially. I do have it as a backup of my irreplaceable files, though. I spent $237 out-of-pocket to for it. To that, I have to add $30 on a bad skin I can not return, $10 on the skin I have now, plus $30 I will eventually spend on the AC Adapter. Is a replacement, like the one I mentioned before, available with a PSP? If it is and my iPod bricks, can't I just get a newer model, like the lady I mentioned before?

If I recall correctly, the PSP only takes care of replacing parts, it does not include replacement of the product. even so, as you stated already, you are using it as a backup of your irreplaceable files, first I wouldn't do that, too un-reliable IMHO. If you do have to go with a replacement item, you may have just lost those files, plus there is no guarantee that you will get that data back if it does brick on you.

There is a possibility that that lady had a defective device that was only a couple of days old and not being covered under a PSP.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts

There is a possibility that that lady had a defective device that was only a couple of days old and not being covered under a PSP.

I believe the first generation ipod shuffle has been discontinued for a few months now. The employee asked the customer if she would like a PSP for the new shuffle, as well. So that leads me to believe that the shuffle was covered by a PSP. My best guess is that the customer had a lemon that could not be repaired, so it was replaced. I am going to go ahead with the PSP for my iPod. Thank you all for your assistance.

Edited by Smokey, 13 February 2007 - 01:08 PM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Call me indecisive, but after reading the resellerratings.com for Best Buy, I chose not to purchase the Performance Service Plan. I think I'll keep my sixty dollars, thanks anyway.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

I believe the first generation ipod shuffle has been discontinued for a few months now. The employee asked the customer if she would like a PSP for the new shuffle, as well. So that leads me to believe that the shuffle was covered by a PSP. My best guess is that the customer had a lemon that could not be repaired, so it was replaced. I am going to go ahead with the PSP for my iPod. Thank you all for your assistance.

are you sure it was a 1st gen shuffle????

Second, good choice on the psp, it's just another way that BB makes money, and you can still be left stranded.