Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi all-

I am a college and student and 2 years ago discovered the whole Dell 'special' power supply, etc. when I tried to upgrade my videocard, and the new card could not draw enough power. My warranty runs out in a couple months and I had some questions regarding upgrading:

MY ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS IS THIS: I simply want to upgrade my video card, but due to the reasons below, I cannot simply just do that.
I am happy with everything I have (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, 2 hard drives, sound card, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz, all the basics) except my video card and maybe my memory (512mb)

THUS- What is the most economical way to get a computer (or modify mine) that has my specs (pentium 4, 2.53 ghz, radeon 9200se) or better with a better video card?

Some other ponderings...
1. Has anyone upgraded a gx260's power supply? Has anyone seen how to do this?
2. If the power supply is upgraded, will that risk burning out the motherboard? Should I also purchase a new motherboard?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! thank you kindly!!!!
~Matt

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Is that a dell dimension and what model, I could not find any info on a gx260.

It seems strange to me that the card could not draw enough power could you explain more.

I can't comment to much on changing the psu till I look at the manual on dell's website(thats why I need model & number)

This I can answer, it will not hurt the mobo or anything else for that matter if you upgrade the psu.

Rick

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Rick-

thank you very much for the reply.

My model is actually an Optiplex Gx260. It's a business model computer- it just happens to be what my university sells through their book store at a discounted rate- I didn't know I would have power issues at the time of buying it!

From what I've read the power supply is a 250w supply, and supposedly this isn't enough to run some of the mid-high range cards that are produced today.

I know pcpowercooling makes a power supply specifically for dell computers, but it's rather pricey.

thanks for your help!
~Matt

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea that why I could not find anything on dell's site, I did then do a google and found some info but no manual so its hard for me to recomend a psu but I would say any name brand P4 psu should work as long as the mounting holes for the case line up, without seeing it its hard to tell.

Rick

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
That's a bit complicated as well, due to the fact that the dell tower has a sheet of metal across the back, making it necessary to find a psu without a power switch.. either that or cut a hole or something!