Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD and DVD drives have errors / not recognizing discs

• Please log in to reply

pababic

pababic

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hello,
I have two drives for DVD's and CD's. I can't remember if I have ever used either of these on my computer. The Device Manager lists lite-on dvd sohd-16p9s and TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552b with yellow exclamation marks next to them. I have quickly searched for drivers, but I don't know if that is even the problem. I have tried disabling, uninstalling, but the drivers will not update (can't find any). Neither one recognizes discs, and the computer gives me "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)" under the device properties. Please let me know if you need any other info. Thanks so much.

Peter

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check for firmware updates, though be sure to get the correct ones

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I am not exactly sure how to find firmware updates. Thanks for your quick response.

Peter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Firmware, optical storage, model

http://www.liteonit....h...r&Itemid=75

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have downloaded the new firmware file, but I don't know how to install it. I don't have a floppy drive to save the .rar file to, and it is not being recognized when I try to direct the update to the folder it is in. Thanks for all the help so far.

Peter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Double click it if you have unzipped it

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I double clicked the .rar file, and it says to choose a program to open it with.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you install Extract Now, tick the context menu option, then right click the rar file and choose extract to named folder

http://www.extractno.../extractnow.exe

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I installed and extracted. When I ran the .exe program, it said that it only works for lite-on dvd sohd-16p9s and showed that there were none detected. ???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, right click the drive, click uninstall, confirm, reboot

Check device manager

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
It still has the yellow exclamation marks. Plug and Play did detect these devices as it booted up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and run CD Gone

http://www.geekstogo...a...ails&f_id=8

pababic

pababic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thank you so much. Everything seems to be working normally now. No more yellow exclamation marks.

Peter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know