Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and Reinstall of Win XP Home

• Please log in to reply

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Ok, what I have is a preinstall Win XP Home Edition. Everything came preinstall with NO CD's. If I ever need to reinstall, it is under a different part of the hd (PC Angel) is what loads Windows back up. I do have a Windows XP Upgrade Disk from my other computer.

Now...I have been having some issues with my HD having some bad sectors and causing some major headaches and loss of data and rebooting. What I am wanting to do is be able to reformat this drive totally and reinstall Windows XP on it. I have an external USB drive that I have backed up my most important stuff, but I have lost ALOT already.

I have (if needed)...BART's PE disk on the external drive and made a boot disk if needed. I also have an emergency disk from when I fired up the computer the very first time.

I am not worried about keeping all the other junk the manufact. loaded on this thing...I have all the original disks for my other programs..

What do I need to do to format this drive, get rid of the bad sectors and reinstall Windows XP from the disk(s) that I have mentioned.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to reinstall any more programs back on this drive until I can clear up the problems it is having.

Thanks,

Jrenter2 :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the product key, not OEM number

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hey Keith,

I used keyfinder to find the existing CD key that is preloaded...I believe I can pull it from the other computer to use the Upgrade disk.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need the existing one, then you could use a borrowed same version XP CD

If yours is service pack one etc you need the same

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Ok....let me see what I can come up with....

thanks Keith....

Edited by Jrenter2, 12 February 2007 - 08:48 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well