Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD ROM DRIVE E SETTINGS PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

oceanrider

oceanrider

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi All.
New at this so bare with me!
I have a compact xp, which uses on 1 drive (E)with ELITE ON COMCO LTC for dvd.cd burning! my son using windows media player up graded it to media 10, in short my dvd.cd drive will now only copy everything to cd as read only,i reversed the media player and in short re-installed windows to factory setting,and even made sure documents,picture and music files are shared! when i send them to cd drive E they are not read only's yet when wrote to cd's they are read only's.

several say its a setting but wouldnt say what setting with out a costly charge. I have tried everything from restalling to factory,removing sign on password and even making documents files,music files and photo files shared, and that nothing is copy protected. Ive gone through about 10 differant brands of cd's, and even restored my media license's 100 times. CD ROM WORKS FINE PLAYS FINE AND RUNS FINE BUT WONT WRITE TO CD AS NOT READ ONLY,and diagnotics tests shows no errors or problems

I do photo work for my family of a grandchild terminally ill,and they can not reproduce the cd's as they come off as read only.
Can some one please give me a hint to the problem or help me with the settings.
thank you so much in advance
oceanrider

Edited by oceanrider, 12 February 2007 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Everything you copy to CD will be written as read only, that's the nature of CDs. This has always been the case, upgrading to Media Player 10 is irrelevant to the problem. When you send a file to drive E, it copies it to another place on your computer and from there Windows writes it to a CD.

I can only assume you were using the rewritable CDs before and using some software such as InCD (other programs are available) before you wiped it.

oceanrider

oceanrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Neil
Thank you for responding.i have used both re-writables and regular.
so i know its nothing with mp,but can you tell me why i can not copy the items i put to cd back on computer.
Every thing works fine,including the copying and playing but after i copy things to CD's and copy them back from CD to comp the pictures cannot be altered and music wont play with out the cd in.,it says acess denied as its a read only file.and the re-writables cant be wiped as they are marked read only files!
What is incd please? many have told me its a setting,and im totally lost,as i have always been able to save work to cd and bring back to comp. any suggestions
Thanks ever so much for help you cant possibly know how important your help is.
god bless
oceanrider

Edited by oceanrider, 13 February 2007 - 03:01 PM.