Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

Virus Anonymous

Virus Anonymous

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Today in the middle of playing a computer game, the power in my house flickered on/off and the entire computer froze.

Now, the computer no longer registers my Nvidia graphics card. The monitor shows up blank when it's plugged into it, it doesn't show up on the device manager, and it won't show up for Add New Hardware.(Note: I'm currently using the on-board GPU)

I've tried resetting the PC several times, unplugging and replugging the Video Card into it's slot, and I've taken a peek around other websites for any information about something like this and came up with nothing.

My question is: is there a way to save this video card, or has the power fluctuation outright destroyed it? If there's a way to make it start working again, a full tutorial would be appreciated, as I'm fairly computer illiterate.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well if you had a warranty on the computer then I would definately go that avenue, but if you don't, I believe you're out of luck. Umm.....Usually its best to have a surge protector to protect against this situation.

Depending on what type of card you have, if ya have PCI you could maybe move it down a slot and replug it in. If at all possible I would buy/borrow a card to see if the slot will even work any more.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance :whistling:

Virus Anonymous

Virus Anonymous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update on this,

The card registers now on the Devices List(My fault it didn't, wasn't plugged in right), but it still won't actually work.

When I try to boot the computer with the monitor hooked to the Nvidia card, nothing shows up. If I try switching to the card after starting the computer up, it only displays my background wallpaper and mouse pointer.

I will try moving it down a slot, but I'm not expecting much.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hmm... well if it just displays your background wallpaper and mouse pointer, then plug it into the other dvi connector if you have one...

See with the display of just the background and mouse pointer, I believe windows is taking that as another monitor output. Because whenever you use dual monitors you get just the background and mouse pointer on one of them. Did you try to install your video card using your cd's...

Besides that I'm not sure, you're just gonna have to play with it.