Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow machine

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
My machine seems slower that it was a few weeks ago. Also some programs (e.g. MS Word) freeze up much more quickly.

I run Norton Antivirus, AVG and Spydoctor weekly. Norton and AVG find nothing. Spydoctor usually find some minor adware "viruses."

The task manager says my CPU usage is at 100% all the time.

I'm not very computer literate so if you can help please lead me step by step.

Thanks much.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Keith,

I did as you suggested. I still feel that the machine is much slower than it was 2 months ago. The task manager still shows CPU Usage at 100%. Also I can't load MS Word (I have Office 2003). It starts then goes unresponsive. If I reboot, it will load, but if I do anything else first then it won't. Secondly, WordPerfect 10 will load, but it takes a very long time. Excel seems to have no problem.

Below is a Hijack log. Perhaps I have a virus that Norton, AVG and SpyDoctor (I run all 3 weekly.) can't find.

[attachment=13225:attachment]

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Norton may have an Office plug which requests a virus scan if you open Word, denoted by Word starting to open but not getting beyond flashing orange in the taskbar. Look at Norton options to disable the Office plug in if running

If you have more than one resident anti virus programme installed, only one should be active

Download, install and run Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If you suspect Malware

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Queen_Evie

Queen_Evie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
NM, I didn't see what I commented on had already been mentioned. (Sorry to intrude on the thread)

Edited by Queen_Evie, 27 February 2007 - 02:03 AM.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Try Advanced Windows Care. It's free and very good.

http://www.iobit.com/

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Thanks everyone for the tips. I will pursue all of them to make my machine more effecient. I did discover that my AVG Guard software was the culprit. As soon as I disabled it, my CPU Useage went from 100% to 2 to 4%.