Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue Screen Issues

• Please log in to reply

Libby22

Libby22

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
This all began a few months ago (September).. I had gotten this blue screen a few times and wasn't sure what to think of it. I tried looking online to see what the problem could be but got confused and eventually stopped trying to figure out what the problem may be because the blue screen stopped coming. It happened again a week or so ago so I gave my laptop a break for a few days and decided to run an online scan for spyware and stuff (Panda software). It found a bunch of stuff so before that scan even finished I stopped it and went to follow the directions here: http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852 because I've been through that once before. Tonight I was doing one of the scans and the blue screen popped up again.

I'm just not sure that it could be hardware or software newly installed because at the time it first occured there wasn't any. And since then I've gotten an external harddrive (for itunes mostly) and the blue screen didn't pop up until a couple of months after I installed that external hd. Basically I'm just confused. I don't know if it's viruses or what. I'm not exactly a computer expert.. in fact I'm not the best with them AT ALL. But I love my laptop and don't want anything bad to happen to it, so hopefully this all can be resolved. Sorry this is all so long, it just feels like there is so much to explain and I don't know where to start. I haven't finished doing the steps you're supposed to do in order to come back and post your HJT log because all this had crept back up. I've also recently gotten new RAM but haven't installed it yet, not sure if memory has anything to do with this or not.

I've read some replies to other peoples problems and one of the things that always seems to pop up is needing to use their windows xp disc to fix a problem.. well in my case I don't have the disc (winxp was already installed on my laptop when I bought it.) So I know this may cause a problem as well.

Here's what the blue screen has said:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, as your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC03DD9A4, 0xC000000E, 0xF7669130, 0x00BF5860)

*** atapi.sys - Adress F7669130 base at F7658000, Datestamp 41107b4d

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

~~~
And then when I boot my computer back up a message pops up and says: The system has recovered from a serious error.

(I have that error signature if needed.)

I see that this is something serious and am very worried. Please be patient with me if I ask a lot of questions or do not understand what you are talking about all of the time (lol). Thanks so much.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Libby22.

Try turning all the power-saving options off in Windows and see how that goes. Most laptops have their own applet in Control Panel for doing this (rather than the standard Windows method), but if yours only has the standard Windows method, this is how to do it:

Control Panel (classic view)->click 'Power Options'.
Under 'Power Scemes', select "Presentation" from the drop-down menu.

If, however, your lappy has it's own customised Power Options wizard, you probably need to select "User Defined" for when it's using AC power, and make sure the sliders or settings are NOT set to turn off the hard-disk and NOT set to put the lappy into standby or hibernate modes.

Power Settings for when using lappy on battery power should be left as is except for the "Turn off hard disk". This should be set to "Never" as I'm almost almost certain the error your getting regarding 'atapi.sys' is related to that.

Edited by pip22, 13 February 2007 - 02:56 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem can be caused by a number of reasons as described in this article by Microsoft.

Go to My Computer, right click Local Disk C:, properties > tools. In Error Checking click on Check Now, check both options > start. A scan of your disk will start. Be patient and let it run to the end.

You can repeat the procedure for other local disks by right clicking the other Local Disk etc etc

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok I did both of those things. The error checking said the volume was clean. I'm not too sure if the problem is fixed because the blue screen was not popping up on a regular basis.

I guess I'll try and go ahead with the steps to get rid of malware now.

I'm hoping what you guys suggested did the trick though.. hopefully! :whistling:

Do you think this is/was a serious problem??

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well as I was running the same scan as I was last night (and 4 hours into it I might add.... grr.) Blue screen popped up. It had a different stop message this time:

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

***STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC000000, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x0018E000)

~~~
It said all the same stuff at the top (about BIOS and hardware etc.) And at the bottom it said the Beginning dump of physical memory, Physical dump complete. But it did not have the ***atapi.sys message.

And of course when I booted back up it had the message about recovering from a serious error.

So ahhhh I'm worried again and don't know what to do! I don't know how I'm ever going to finish running this SUPERAntiSpyware scan, among all the others that come after it! Is this a memory problem or what the heck is going on.....?!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download BurninTest from here. It is free fot 30 days and will test the hardware under stress. Run it, produce a report and include it in your next post.

Libby22

Libby22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well my harddrive crashed. So I'm at circuit city right now.. they're going to order me a new one.. so I guess that was the problem.. :whistling: