Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apple Software Update

• Please log in to reply

peakie22

peakie22

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've just updated Quicktime (needed to in order to view a blog from daughter in US!) and, whilst that seems to load and run ok, the Apple Software Update that gets installed at the same time just won't run. It fails immediately on loading with a standard "software application has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I've Googled the problem with little luck - lots of hits from people having trouble with iTunes but I didn't install that. Don't need it on this pc. I suppose the manual update of Quicktime will still be ok, in which case I presume I don't really need this Software Updater but it's just one of those niggles that it won't work.

If anyone has had and solved - or can suggest how to solve - this one, would be pleased to hear.

Peakie22

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if your just using quick time, then the software updater isn't that necessary.

peakie22

peakie22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Had wondered if it was only/mainly for iTunes - strange though that it still instals even when iTunes isn't requested. Think I'll just uninstal it. Thanks

Peakie22

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Apple Software Update is installed as part of a scheduled task.

For reasons that only Microsoft understand, Scheduled Tasks will only run when the user account has a password on it. Therefore if your XP account doesn't have a password that you type in when you click on it, nothing in Scheduled Tasks will ever run.

peakie22

peakie22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's not that it wouldn't run as scheduled but, as I said, it won't start at all - perhaps because it needs iTunes and cant find it.