Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse triggered hysteria

• Please log in to reply

ricp

ricp

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I move my mouse, multiple applications launch and terminate in a random order. My screen looks like fireworks with several windows exploding open and then closing. My mouse pointer jumps off and hides so that I can't control operation anymore. I was able to perform up to step 5 (post hijack this log) from your suggested troubleshooting steps. Then the problem got worse and I was not able to retreive logs. I am currently posting from another PC.

Advertisements

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for replying folks. I can't wait much longer and I will have to perform the arduous task of rebuiding my PC. If anyone can help me with this tragedy, please chime in.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

1. What make/model is your computer?

2. Do you have your Windows CD?

3. Do you have a CD with all the device drivers?

4. Have you made a backup of your data?

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Mother Board = ASUS P4P800E

I do have windows XP CD.

I do have driver Cd for Mother Board.

I just recently got an external drive and backed up some data before my PC became impossible to control.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. See this link that gives detailed instructions of doing an install from the Windows CD. Since you've possibly got malware issues unresolved, be sure to choose to format the partition.

Once Windows has finished installing and you're back at the desktop, you'll need to install drivers. Install Chip Set drivers first, then NIC (so you can get online). Then go to the Device Manager and install the remaining drivers.

Next, install your antivirus, especially if you are going to be online to pull drivers, etc.

Then install your other software and peripherals. Be sure to disable real-time protection on your AV, so it doesn't interfere with the installs. Or you could move AV until last (just be careful online).

Finally, restore you data and files.

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. Then if there are no other fix suggestions, I will proceed to rebuild my PC.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Whoa...

I thought you wanted to format/reinstall.

You can try to repair Windows. But if you suspect you have Malware, I don't know if that will be successful. Here are the instructions.

*** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You may have to reinstall other software you had installed.

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That's more like it! I will perform these steps when I get back to my PC and post results after.

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Tragic news! I have reformated and reinstalled Windows XP. Before I even went online, the behavior slowly started to return. Could my BIOS be compromised? That is the only thing left that can be written to.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Gosh, I'm kind of stumped. I'm going to try to get some additional eyes on this issue and will post back as quickly as possible.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One thing I would do before anything else is try a different kind of mouse. If it's PS2 try a USB, or vice versa.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you get the same results with a different mouse, let's try this (thanks to Fenor):

Reset the computer's CMOS. Please do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST five minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I agree with Tyger, try a different mouse. I had one mess up one time it wouldn't let go of the webpage when I clicked on it.

Edited by Area 51, 27 February 2007 - 08:29 PM.

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks again! I will take my USB mouse from work and try it. The CMOS reset will be next.

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The USB mouse worked fine. The BIOS must be the culprit here. What do you think?