Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse triggered hysteria

• Please log in to reply

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The saga continues. So far I have done the following:

Reformated and reinstalled Windows XP.
Removed and reinserted CMOS battery.
Reflashed BIOS.
Replaced PS2 mouse with USB which worked fine.

I considered just using USB mouse and be done. But, I am not confident that this undiagnosed problem will not come back and bite me. The problem looks software related. Can any of you geeks think of anything else?

Incidently, I mistated my PC type. It is an Asus P4C800E-Delux vs. P4P800.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You said you replaced the PS/2 mouse with a USB one which worked fine, but have you tried a different PS/2 mouse altogether? Remember, you can't hot-swap PS/2 mice like you can USB ones, so make sure you power down your computer before attaching the new PS/2 mouse (removing the USB one as well) and then turn on your computer and see what happens.

Fenor

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Fenor,

Forgot to mention that one. I did replace the PS2 mouse with another PS2 with no luck.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then most likely the PS/2 port is damaged. I wouldn't really worry about it, USB mice work a lot better then PS/2 mice. Just stick with the USB mouse and you will be fine. :whistling:

Fenor

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I will use a USB mouse. But, as I stated, the problem behaves as if it software related.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's not software related. You said you reformatted windows and the problem still persists. Most likely the PS/2 port got shorted somehow and that caused it to start behaving erratically. It happens all the time. I can't count the number of times I've seen PS/2 ports go bad. It is definitely a hardware issue, not a software one.

Fenor

ricp

ricp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Fenor,

Fine. I will proceed with the USB mouse and consider this issue resolved. Thanks to all for your help.