Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no signal input + beeping on start

• Please log in to reply

shasha

shasha

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My roommate has been using my pc playing games for hours on end. Just this morning though, the monitor and cpu would turn on, but the screen displays a "no signal input, cable disconnected"-something message. And then there's also the beeping sound (continuous short beeps) as soon as I turn on the cpu. After many restarts, the pc worked fine again. But as my roommate was about to play Zuma (her fave!), the pc suddenly shut down and it would have the no-signal and beeping problem again when we try to turn it on. I've checked the cords and it's all in place; we've never moved the pc from one place to another. No burnt smell whatsoever. Help!

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi,

before we start i need to know a few piece of information,

1) what is the make of you Motherboard
2)) what exactly is the beeping sequence.

incase you did not know, the beeping sequence is a code to tell you what is wrong, it is a diagnostics!

Thanks

Glen

shasha

shasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
man, i hope this is the info you need...

ASUS A7V8X-MX SE 1.03
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7V8X-MX SE ACPI BIOS

and the beeping sequence is something like this:

beep...3 seconds pause...beep...3 seconds pause...beep...3 seconds pause...

hope that helps!

:whistling:

Confused Chic

shasha

shasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
okay, so i listened to the beeping sequence again and it's actually something like this:

long beep - pause - long beep - pause - long beep - pause - and it just goes on and on like that

i googled the meaning of this sequence, but i can't seem to find something similar to it. the phoenix bios codes i saw are usually a combination of long and short beeps. unless my pc's sequence qualifies as a continuous beep, then there may be a problem with the power supply or motherboard.

some additional info:

- before my roommate first encountered the "no signal+beep" problem, she noticed white spots on the screen until it froze. when she restarted the pc, she then had the no signal problem already.

- i was desperate to make my pc work again so i kept restarting and restarting it. after so many attempts, pc worked fine again. i frantically transferred all my files to the backup drive. during the transfer though, i noticed that the color of the tabs is turning into white (like fading). and then there was also a vertical green stripes in the middle of the screen. and then suddenly the screen froze. i was forced to restart the pc and i had the no signal message + long beeps again just as i suspected.

we're planning to finally bring my cpu to a repair shop tomorrow, but i just want to know your opinion first so i would know what's really wrong. i don't want to end up buying things i don't really need.

lastly, in case i need to buy a new motherboard, will i still be able to retrieve the files from my backup drive? if yes, do you have a temporary solution to my problem prior to changing computer parts if needed so that i can transfer all my files to the backup drive first? since there's been two instances that i was able to use the pc after restarting it numerous times, maybe something can be done to make it work for a third time.

thanks so much.