Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Charging Problem

• Please log in to reply

cavfan

cavfan

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
When running an application off of a fully charged battery, it works fine, but if the battery is about half gone or less and I plug in the charger the screen alternates light and dark and performance gets slow. If I go into power management I can tell that it is alternating between charging and running on AC power. Everything works fine when just running on AC power.

Advertisements

cavfan

cavfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Nobody ever heard of this?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
When you say that everything is fine on AC power, do you mean that you have the battery removed and the adapter plugged in?
What make and model laptop?
Do you have the luxury of trying another battery?

cavfan

cavfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When the battery is still in and fully charged, it works fine with the adapter plugged in. It also works fine with just the battery, or just the adapter. Only time there's a problem is when battery is partially charged and I plug in the adapter. My brother has the same laptop so maybe I'll try the battery in his. It's a Gateway MX6453.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Hmmm....
Strange. Let us know how the other battery works out. You might also try reloading the power management application if it's on your recovery CD. They get corrupted sometimes.