Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux question

• Please log in to reply

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Guys,

It just so happens my wife has an old computer that she no longer uses and I wanted to drop Linux on to it to start learning how it works, etc. Being the typical PC guy which version am I looking for?

What makes Linux better than your typical windows machine? I understand the philosophy but is there anything it excels at? What kind of problems will I run into using Linux?

Thanks for any help or advice. I am really interested to get started. :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its good for most general purpose uses and some light gaming especially for folks that like puzzle and older games. i think ubuntu is the best for beginners its got a simple friendly GUI and its good for more advanced users too and its got the most high quality support of any distro ive seen. And it fits on one CD and quick to download.

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
After doing a bit of research I started downloading that one. Seems like the best bet. Is the application support for Linux poor? I have heard there are very few programs that are generally made for linux.

Does Linux have any cool feature Windows does not support? I can't wait to install it tonight and play around with it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its got plenty of software as its what allot of the open source developers use and allot of people make applications for it but there are very few that work on both windows and Linux in fact allot of Linux programs work allot better than the windows apps. they were designed to replace. The media players especially are better and the browsers are the same but snappier(no AVs in linux).

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

After doing a bit of research I started downloading that one. Seems like the best bet. Is the application support for Linux poor? I have heard there are very few programs that are generally made for linux.

Does Linux have any cool feature Windows does not support? I can't wait to install it tonight and play around with it.

Linux is a very secure operating system in comparison to any Windows computer, and firstly Windows is the mainstream chosen OS, and the Linux security is very, very strong. Few programs is not entirely true, practically any program you have for Windows (minus the games) there will be a linux alternative, and most likely freely ported to Windows. Linux has a few more features over Windows, mainly the security, the customisability and the open source communities (free programs for linux) is brilliant. Oh yeah, and practically anything for Linux is free. You will also find with Linux that the driver coverage is unbelivable, plug in nearly any prepharial, new or old, and it's very likely it will have a driver for it.

no AVs in linux

http://www.clamav.net/

Edited by SuperSam, 13 February 2007 - 08:51 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is AVs like clam they just arent necessary, you are though wrong about driver support linux driver support is actually quite poor one of its few weaknesses its quite bad for wireless cards you can get a driver for most things and basic peripherals are recognised but graphics, wireless cards and TV cards anything like that drivers can be a hassle you have to look around and install them yourself its the only negative to linux driver support is better but its still nowhere close to windows in either 3rd party availability or plug and play.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
ClamAV is used in conjunction with mail servers to scrub the badness out of your email before you connect with Windows. :whistling:

:blink: