Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan stopping

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Is it normal for my CPU fan to occasionally stop spinning?

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Also is there any way to speed it up? It usually runs at about 800rpm, on the box it says it runs at 2000rpm.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hey,

It isn't normal for a CPU fan to stop spinning while a computer is switched on. Make sure the connection for the fan is secure.

If you are wanting to speed the fan up then there is a small program called SpeedFan

Visit the site http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and in the download section you will see the program available for download.

Let me know how you get on :whistling:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
On your PC look for something that monitors temperature of the CPU- if your rig is running cold enough, it might not need to have the CPU fan on all the time, hence why your fan would be turning off every now and then

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
It's likely your fan is only spinning at a speed it need to keep it cool, to keep power + noise levels low. Most newer processors have this support, I use it personally. Mine is spinning about 2500rpm, when the maximum speed of this fan is 6000rpm.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Thanks guys. I solved it by connecting it to another fan connector.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Im glad we could help you, if you have any more problems, you know where to come :whistling:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
make sure you remember which fan you have connected your CPU fan to- if you ever get a fan monitoring software, it might not see one under the CPU fan and you might be turning one fan up where u dont need it!