Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading video/graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I have a Dell Dimension XPS T600 desktop and I want to upgrade my system so I can play some games, primarily World of Warcraft. My biggest problem right now is my video card. I have an NVIDIA TNT2/TNT2 Pro and I need to get a new graphics card. I opened up my CPU and I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell whether I have an AGP port or not. I was looking to buy either this (AGP) or this (PCI).

I have pics of the inside of my CPU if you want to see them too.

Edited by Lovltn848, 13 February 2007 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi there. From a Google search, I see that your Dell Dimension XPS T600 ships with either a 600mhz or 800mhz Pentium 3 processor with 128mb of ram and a 20gb hard drive - which I believe is far from able to run a game such as World of Warcraft. The game requirements are:

Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

* 800 MHz or higher CPU.
* 256 MB or more of RAM.
* 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware Transform and Lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better.
* 4 GB or more of available hard drive space.
* DirectX® 9.0c or above.
* A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection.

These are the MINIMUM requirements, so basically even if your system was the (slightly) better 800mhz system, it'd lack the memory capacity. Since the system is quite old, it will possibly have a AGP slot for graphics, which you will need to buy a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphic card - so all in all, I think it's best for a complete system upgrade - motherboard, processor, memory, graphics and hard drive - which if you went for a relatively new machine, a power supply upgrade would be required too.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Okay, I forgot to mention that i have 384MB or RAM and I'm upgrading to 512MB really soon. I also have an 80G external hard drive. I bought the AGP card and I think I will buy a 1G CPU pretty soon too if my 600 MHz won't work.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Okay that's great. The specification you give will run the game, but only on it's lowest graphical setting. On the subject of an external hard drive, I presume this is a USB device. From the age of your system - depending when it was produced (if before 2001 then..) I'd doubt that it had USB 2.0 support so it will be using USB 1.0 or 1.1 - both of which run at 1.5mb per second, as opposed to USB 2.0 which runs at 60mb per second which is a significant increase. So, installing the game on a USB-controlled hard drive is not advised as it would cause the game to lag - I've noticed a huge difference in 'lock up' time running applications from a USB hard drive than an internal hard drive.

N00b1

N00b1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
what people have said here is so true even if you just get enough so you can play you still will hate the game because it will lagg so bad i have a pc with 2gb ran 360 had with 2 160 externals ect and mine still can lagg lake [bleep] so if i were you i wouldn't bother playing it on your pc in the long run it would be better to get a new pc because face it usb, GC, HD, MB, PS, pro is all out dated and even if you get a new GS and all the rest your mother board will not like you so if i was you i would start saving for a new pc if you want to go for the long run get a alien were one

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
If you are looking to properly upgrade your system, there are plently online retailers that sell motherboard bundles[usually motherboard+processor] for very cheap - sites such as Newegg[for US/Canada] and Ebuyer[Europe]. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help on choosing components for either upgrading your system or buying a complete new system

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Okay I got my video card and my 512MB RAM today. I got the video card installed okay but my monitor wouldn't activate when I put in my SDRAM at the same time as I put my card in. My video card has 256MB DDR. Are these compatible with one another or will I have to send the modules back and get DDR?

Also, when I tried to run WoW again I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del and the game wasn't responding. Will I have to reinstall this wretched thing AGAIN?! ...or will the repair tool fix it?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
3 things I see wrong with this:

1. Your PC probably does not have an AGP slot... and if it does, it only supports up to 4x AGP. If you bought an AGP card made in the last 5 years, it probably won't work.

2. A 256mb card will demand alot of power. Your PSU probably isn't up to the task.

3. Your PC only accepts PC-100 SDRAM. Make sure this is the type you bought.

and on a side note, newegg only ships to the US, not Canada.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
My computer is running fine now, I think it might have been that game (I haven't applied the 1.12-2.0.6 patch yet)

I DO have an AGP slot, and the it worked! The box says AGP 8X/4X.

Yes, the SDRAM is PC100, I'll have to try it again. I realized the RAM I already have in there is SDRAM, so my theory is that it will work next time, I just needed to install my vid card first.

Oh yeah, and my PC can support 768MB of RAM.

Newegg won't be a problem for me then, I'm in Montana.

Edited by Lovltn848, 16 February 2007 - 10:17 PM.