Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help in putting password

• Please log in to reply

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I had password on my pc both when it startsup and while entering into bios.But once i forgot the password and was not able to open the pc. So i just opend the cabinet and removed the jumper and put it on the pins for fifteen seconds which removes password .Then i put the jumper as it was and swiched on the system.The password was gone.I entered the cmos and put the password again. I gave password for both startup and for entering cmos.The one which i gave for startup is not working .I mean its not asking pasword at startup.The one which i gave at cmos is working.Please tell me how can i put the password at startup again.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
So you can get into Windows right? To enable password protection on your user account go to Control Panel -> User Accounts. Click your username and click "create a password".

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

So you can get into Windows right? To enable password protection on your user account go to Control Panel -> User Accounts. Click your username and click "create a password".

No i want to put password when you swich on the pc.When we click del to enter in to cmos set up at that time i want to put password.I want to put password bot when the system starts up and when entering into cmos.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
In BIOS, you should have two passwords: Admin/Supervisor (for entering BIOS/CMOS to make changes) and System/User (to boot machine). In your case, it's the System/User password that needs to be set. If you see a setting for "Prompt Every at Every Boot", but sure to enable it.

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

In BIOS, you should have two passwords: Admin/Supervisor (for entering BIOS/CMOS to make changes) and System/User (to boot machine). In your case, it's the System/User password that needs to be set. If you see a setting for "Prompt Every at Every Boot", but sure to enable it.

yes you are right i want to enable system/user password.But it not asking me password even after i set the password for it.Its asking me admin/supervisor password but no system/user password.How can i set it.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Recheck the jumper position.

Then try to remove the System/User password, save changes, reboot. Go back to BIOS, set the System/User password, save changes, reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, what brand is the computer and/or motherboard?

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Recheck the jumper position.

Then try to remove the System/User password, save changes, reboot. Go back to BIOS, set the System/User password, save changes, reboot.

If that doesn't fix it, what brand is the computer and/or motherboard?

what i did when i forgot the password i opened the cabinet and took out the jumper from the first two pins and placed it over the two pins which were adjacent to it referring to my motherboard manual for few seconds and put it back again.And now i have this problem.Ok i will try to remove it and put it back again and try to reset the password.

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
My problem got solved actually what happend is when i changed the jumpersetting for few seconds the password got removed and the cmos setting was set to setup or startup instead of system.Thanks to all of you for extending your help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you got it worked out, and thanks for letting us know :whistling: