Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Problems

• Please log in to reply

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
My friends got a problem.....

To start off he was installing a video driver off his ipod when his computer would no longer respond he turned it off. After trying to restart it we couldn't get a feed to the monitor, turns out the video card is fried because of the driver install malfunction.

But now he bought a Asus P4V800D-X and put a new video card in it, but after about an hour the motherboard shut itself off. And now yet again he's not getting a feed from the video card. He took that video card out and tried it in his HP computer and it worked...So he plugged it back into the Asus and it didn't work yet again.

Now I'm pretty computer literate, but these recent problems I've never run across and have me complexed. Any help towards this problem would be awesome. :whistling:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can you give us a bit more info please...

When your friend powers on his computer now, I assume there's still no display appearing on the monitor, right?

What else happens though?
i.e does the system power on? (fans spin up, hard drive spin up etc)
Do the keyboard LEDs flash up once just after powering on?
Do you hear any beeps from the system (case) speaker just after powering on?
Whats the rest of the system spec?

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Sry, I guess I did type it up pretty fast.....

I'll really give ya some detail now..........

Computer A -- First Computer
M955 PC Chips Mobo
3.0 Ghz
6800 GS Vid Card

Was Working fine, tried to install video driver off of ipod and the setup failed. He powered down the system because it was locked up and whenever he turned it back on, everything came on, but he couldn't see anything. It's almost like the vid card isn't plugged in.... He doesn't have any led's on his keyboard, kind of odd i thought, but the pc speaker does two short beeps. (Now I'm no idiot I have bios post codes and have used them on numerous computers, but the ones he's getting just don't seem to add up). It sounds like two short beeps, but I'm unsure...My post codes say this is: Post Error- error code shown on screen, but we can't see the screen. It's all black, screen doesn't enable itself either.

At first I thought it was a mobo problem, but I tried onboard and it didn't work so we deemed it a mobo issue.

So he get's his Asus P4V800D-X and puts it in along with the 6800 GS and it doesn't work. Still yet the computer turns on and everything, bios beeps twice again, but no feed to monitor. So it wasn't the mobo......Well we grabbed an extra PCI graphics card and stuck it in and it worked....for about an hour. Now this PCI graphics card is doing the same thing that his 6800 GS was doing, with the no video feed. Perplexing I know...

He took that PCI vid card out and put it into the HP computer and that computer worked fine with the card in. Took it back out and tried again in Asus mobo still yet no feed.

I'm confused now, hope someone can understand all that.

I would say the best thing now for us to do is reinstall WinXP Pro and see if that fixes all of the issues, unless someone has some suggestions :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Not sure if I've skipped a chapter here or something, but from what you've said, I'm under the impression that at the moment neither the PC Chips mobo or the Asus mobo will work (i.e display on screen) with either of the 2 video cards (6800 & PCI card).

Have I got this wrong? And if not, how are you going to reinstall windows when you can't see anything on the monitor?

Also, have you tried clearing the bios on either of the two machines?