Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SLI: To be or not to be

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I've got an SLI-capable motherboard, as well as an SLI capable graphic card. It's an Asus 7100GS (Yes, I know - why am I bothering to ask?!). I've been offered another Asus 7100GS [EXACTLY] the same as the card I've got - for £20. Would it be worthwhile getting the other card and running the two 7100GS' as SLI or not - ie. would there be much of a graphic performance using the two cards as SLI?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
For £20 you can't really go wrong. It will enhance the graphics slightly, but they are pretty low spec cards anyway, so don't expect anything durrastic. I'd personally do it though.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I presume two(or even one) would have better performance than a PCI FX 5200 - simply because the PCI bus speed is much slower therefore the graphic capability cannot be half as 'fast'

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just one would be much faster but two really wouldn't be so much faster to be worth anything its just too slow to do much really its a slow card.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think you will find a SLI setup to be quite hard to dial-in for any benefits over a single card. The games are not designed to run on dual cards so there is no programming to take advantage of it. The price is right but you will need to run testing software like sandra and passmark to get the best from the cards.

http://reviews.cnet....-5020816-2.html

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
They are right. You will not see a performance increase hardly at all but its up to you. Im sure you wouldnt even notice the difference if you had two 7100GS's in SLI VS one 7100GS because the card is already slow as is.. You might find it just a hair better performance but lets get real it will not majorly boost your fps or performance.

On the really fast expensive video cards, if you run SLI you can get maybe UP TO 15-20% better performance (versus a single card of the same exact type) at MOST on Certain games not all games because all games are coded differently and on different game engines.

I would say that two 7100GS's would give you MAYBE UP TO 5% better performance on games versus one 7100GS, and that is not a noticable difference at all.. Your eye wont really be able to tell the difference in my opinion because those cards are slow.

Im just trying to get the point across. I try to tell people that SLI doesnt mean you can Double your performance as that is total BULL.. (Not talking about you) just telling you about personal up close experiences with people.