Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Download YouTube Videos

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Yeah, so this is how ...

Step 1: If you don't have it now, I don't know why! Get Mozilla Firefox.

Step 2: Download the GreaseMonkey Plugin for Firefox. Note: You may get a warning if you click this link at the top of your Firefox browser saying "Firefox prevented..." and so on. What you can do to get rid of this is click "Edit Options" on the right side of that bar, and then click Allow in the pop-up window. Then click the GreaseMonkey link once again.

Step 3: Download the Script For GreaseMonkey that lets you get the YouTube Videos.

Step 4: Go to a YouTube video you like! I'll use an Usher Video as an example.

Step 5: At the top of your internet window, you should see a red bar that says "'Save As' to download Flash Video." Do NOT just click on this bar or it will not download correctly. Instead, right-click it and click "Save Link As" and then in the responding box, type in a name you want and save it with a .flv extension. For instance, if you are using my Usher example, we should call it usher_dance.flv - make sure you have the .flv at the end.

There you go! You have downloaded the Youtube video. Only catch is, it's in a .flv format, which Windows Media Player or Winamp cannot play. Fun! - Not.

Step 6: You have to either download a program that will play the .flv's, or you need to download a program that will convert it to a different format: one that Winamp or Windows Media Player can play. Download the FLV Player. Or, download the FLV Converter.

If you chose to use the FLV Player, then you are done. All you have to do is drag and drop the .flv file you just downloaded into that FLV Player and it will play the video for you. Congratulations!

However ...

If you chose to download the converter instead, then I have some more explaining to do.

Step 7: Install the FLV Converter, and open it up on your screen.

Step 8: Click "Browse" in the "Input" box and double-click wherever your .flv file is.

Step 9: Stay with me here! Once you have found the .flv and double-clicked it. Look at the output box. Your output directory is where the converted video will be sent to. By default, it's sent to the same folder your .flv file is in. This is pretty convenient in my opinion, so there shouldn't be a reason for you to change it. The Destination Video File is what you need to change. So using the Usher example, you should see "usher_dance.flv" in as the Destination Video File. Change this to "usher_dance.wma" if you plan to use Winamp to view the video; and change it to "usher_dance.asf" if you plan to use Windows Media Player to view the video. Finally, click the big "Encode" button at the bottom of the window to start converting it. If your Converter program whites out and freezes for a minute, that is totally normal. After it is done encoding, you should see your .wma or .asf file next to your .flv file.

Note: .wma will not work with Windows Media Player, but the reason I gave you this option is that .wma is a much smaller file than a .asf. Winamp can also play a .asf, but it's up to you.

Now you are done! Just double-click your converted file and watch the video and laugh, as you have just outsmarted YouTube :whistling: .

Edited by Joeturf, 13 February 2007 - 04:02 PM.

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
...but you've not outsmarted the law.

[Nor have you outsmarted G2G's basic HTML editor]
:whistling: