Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista cleen or upgrade [+ can some one give me a link] RC1

• Please log in to reply

N00b1

N00b1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hay i would like to know which is better to do a clean install of vista or upgrade because i have like 150GB of files on my pc which are programs/scripts that i have downloaded/made also i have lost of programs which i might not have the installation for now :whistling: also i have allot of environment variables set ect but on the other hand it would give me a clean start but i would like evry file and program to be saved on to my external HD so how could i do this also dose vista become your 1ST running bace so it will get rid of XP

also could some one give me a link to get vista RC1 or is there no point?
[EDIT] also i heard that MS has changed the BSOD Blue Screen Of Death [true]/[false]?

Edited by N00b1, 13 February 2007 - 05:02 PM.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Getting a copy of RC-1 is pointless, it expires on June 1 2007 and you cannot upgrade from it to a legal copy of Vista.

If you purchase a legal copy, then doing a clean install is the way you want to go... XP and Vista are not the same beast...

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Ebuyer.com has Vista cheaper than chips.

[Disclaimer: By 'Chips' I mean every other high street retailer]

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Nope, Vista still has BSODs but it is suppose to have a RSOD (Red Screen Of Death) ive just installed RC2 onto my laptop and its running fine really fast. Vista is a rip off though, who is going to pay £250 for Ultimate edtion? To be honest microsoft are going to have real trouble stopping pirate copys as its way too expensive for what it is.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
In all fairness, rumble291, if it wasn't for the BSOD's - you'd rarely be able to solve problems. Yes, you may argue the Operating System should never develop faults, but everyone and everything has to develop faults, otherwise life would be plain boring. In years to come, we'll all develop wrinkly skin and grey hair, it's the same with computers - if the oppurtunity to upgrade to something better never arises, the computing world would just be simply boring.

[Although, on afterthoughts, I can't say I'm excited about developing grey hair and wrinkly skin in years to come]

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the OEMs are very cheap same price as XP the only downside is that it has that inconvenient hardware limitations so if the system is new i doubt it will be a problem as itll be a while before you upgrade enough that it would be a problem and MS will probably relax the hardware restrictions soon enough.

N00b1

N00b1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
so im now convinced that i need to do i clean install but how can i copy EVERY thing i have on to a external hard drive?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Nope, Vista still has BSODs but it is suppose to have a RSOD (Red Screen Of Death) ive just installed RC2 onto my laptop and its running fine really fast. Vista is a rip off though, who is going to pay £250 for Ultimate edtion? To be honest microsoft are going to have real trouble stopping pirate copys as its way too expensive for what it is.

I paid that for Ultimate and alot of other people will too. It is well worth the money in my opinion. Paying $250, is nothing when compared to the almost $1600 in parts I have in my computer.

Fenor

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yes and No, the BSODs can solve problems but there was way way too many in XP and what happened to pressing control alt delete to try and resume. No software should be more than the hardware full stop. I can see that they spent alot of money on it and its way more stable than XP.

N00b1

N00b1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i just got it now i need http://www.geekstogo...ve-t148902.html