Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Knowledge Question Fill Me In

• Please log in to reply

wburrough

wburrough

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have Windows Xp Home and i am in computer Managment.....here is what i see..

Disk 0 = 'Extended partition/Logical drive' Status='Healty' '1 partition'

(*Side Question - What is the difference between logical,extended,primary? i have a pretty good idea what primary is but what about the others? this drive is both logical and has the green around it saying it is extended)

Disk 1 = 'primary partition' status = Healthy(Active) - 1 partition

Here is where my main question is - Why does this dirve say active? i have the least amount of programs on there. This is actually the drive i use to save all my Pro Tools Sessions to there is alot of space used but nothing should be running. So why Active??? The reason i am here in the first place is becasue my pro tools software started haveing playback errors all of the sudden it tells me "Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks". Pro Tools is a very Sensitive program and i found that i can make it work if go into device manager and disable that hard drive.(pro tools is not installed on this dive) Everything works fine after this is done.

Disk 2 = has 4 partitions 3 of them are logical extended and the other is the Primary partition The primary partitions status is healthy(system) and the others are all Healthy On of these others happens to be my programs partition and it does not say active?

So What Does Active Mean and how do i make it healthy and not active. becasue i think this is my problem. I have been troubleshooting this thing for days and i have probally put a sold 20hours into it. Any thought would be great. Thanks Alot

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So What Does Active Mean and how do i make it healthy and not active. becasue i think this is my problem. I have been troubleshooting this thing for days and i have probally put a sold 20hours into it. Any thought would be great. Thanks Alot

the rest of those questions will take longer than what i have right now to answer but....active just means that the drive has been marked as usable with your OS...it doesn't mean...in use or being turned around like a maniac...just means that windows knows it's there and that it can use it...you can't make it NOT active (unless i'm wrong)

wburrough

wburrough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
then why dont the others say active?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the best explanation i have found on Partitions and drives.

http://www.theelderg...d_drives_01.htm

SRX660