Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connected to network but not internet... wtf!?

• Please log in to reply

kktoot

kktoot

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Roomates idiot bf tried to "fix" the wireless that wasn't broken and now I cant stay on my own friggin network. When I set it up 5.5 months ago, it ran thru my computer. My roomate moved in a month ago and we couldnt get the wireless to work so we ran a line to her room and she uses a wire- no big deal. But her bf wanted to be helpful so he changed everything when I wasn't around, thru her comp, and now I can't access my own internet. Besides the obvious fact that I want to smack this idiot, what do I do???

I put in the new password and set it to automatically connect to that network, which it does, but it only stays connected for like 5 minutes then boots me. It disconnects, I re-connect, it says its connected, then the internet doesnt work. I have to completely restart the comp which is completely unneccesary and I'm gonna tweak if that continues.

How do I fix this without killing this guy or throwing my laptop at him (it's very heavy)???

Could he perhaps undo what he did (as it was unwelcomed) and reverse the problem? Does he have to change certain settings on my comp (it says it is a WEP Open network now)...I'm using the new password and dont know if those settings have to change too.

THANK YOU in advance-- you guys have helped me so much in the past.

-Kelly

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Reset the entire router to factory default settings and set it up from scratch rather than trying to figure out what the other individual has screwed up (or not as the case may be).