Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragg issues with my PC, OS is Windows XP home Version

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
On My Windows XP when I perform a defragmentation some files are not able to be defragged. Why is that and how do I get a full defragg? Also when I do a disk scan (or dskchk as XP calls it) my results say I have programs running in back ground. Any suggestions? :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi †_Moose_†...

Try the defrag from Safe Mode. Keep in mind that it is rare to get a 100% defrag using any defrag application...there will almost always be some fragmentation left.

For the chkdsk, schedule it to run on boot from command prompt.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok". In the command session window, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". You will be told the drive is busy and asked if you want to run it at the next boot, type Y and press "Enter". Type exit and press "Enter" to close the command session.

Reboot and chkdsk should run at boot up. Be patient, this is a long check.

wannabe1