Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Services and Controller App error

• Please log in to reply

barefoot

barefoot

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am (have been) trying to install the software for my C4180 AiO Hp printer for 2 weeks now. Have called HP tech support, and
they can't get the thing to install. We've disabled all services EXCEPT Microsoft; installed the software; but when you connect the
printer with the USB cable when it asks for it, and the "found new Hdware" comes up, it trys to install the unit, then gets an error
message that the system is shutting down by NT ATHORITY\system and the mach. will reboot in 60sec. When it comes back up, I
get a msg. that "services and controller app" terminated unexpectedly and gives an error msg to send to Microsft. Data Error Protection is the problem to send to Msft . It creates an apparent log dir in the temp dir. = WERef1c.dir00. Inside this folder is two items:
a services.exe.MPDP and a txt file.
When I unplug the USB cable to the unit and uninstall the HP software., I get no problems. The HP laserjet 3015 AiO I have works fine; The Epson R200 I have works fine; The Epson CX5400 AiO I have works fine. I just cannot get the 4180's software to load with out the error(s). Any thoughts?? Myspec's : P4-3Ghz HT; Intel MOBO D875PBZ; 2Ggs PC3200 DDR SDram; MSI Ti-4200 AGP8X Video 128; LG-Super multi DVD; MSI CD-R 52x32x52; MSI DVDrom; (2) Seagate SATA HD's; (1) WDC 80Gb IDE Drive OS is XPpro with SP2
Barefoot

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I am figuring that your problem is because you already have HP software installed for your other AIO printer, and therefore it doesn't need to be installed again. What I suggest you do, is put the HP cd in the cd-rom drive (closing the window that appears when the cd autoruns) and then plug in the usb cable for your new AIO printer. The new hardware wizard will pop up. Make sure that the found new hardware wizard is set up to look on the CD-ROM drive for the drviers and then let windows find and install the drivers for the printer.

Fenor

barefoot

barefoot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Took three tries, I also ran CCleaner between, and finally got the software installed and the printer recognized. Thanks for the effort. I got one of those "satisfaction" surveys from HP and I let them have it! They should have followed thru with helping me to get it working, instead of shuffling me off to "Microsoft" and I told them so. Maybe I'm getting jaded, but I've been working with PC's and other computers over 20 years, Build 'em for the public and businesses, and I couldn't stay in business if I did that!

Barefoot! :whistling: