Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shadow copy frustration!

• Please log in to reply

rhyatt

rhyatt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I set up my 2003 machine as a file server and enabled shadow copy on one of the volumes on my hard disk. I also installed the shadow copy client, but things aren't working as they should.....

Let's say I made a file called test.txt with the text "this is test 1", then ran a shadow copy to save this version. I then changed the file to make the text say "this is test version 2" and saved it. When I click the properties of the file there should a "previous versions" tab that lets me revert to the original version of the file, but it's not there....

Yet if I go into file server management and choose to revert the whole volume to the previous shadow copy the file will go back to the original version.????

So the shadow copy feature is working, but for whatever odd reason the "previous versions" tab doesn't show. I have done the installation and tried this on two unrelated machines with the exact same problem....

Any one ever come across this before? Any advice?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the previous versions tab is only viewable from a client machine (even if y ou install the client on the server...)...or at least in my experience...

if you go to a client of the file server...and navigate to one of the shared folders and try to restore a previous version...you should see the previous versions tab....i have YET to find a successfull method to be able to restore the previous versions ON the server...

rhyatt

rhyatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I can see it on the client machine at least. Thanks for the info!