Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video graphics doing weird stuff

• Please log in to reply

phyzon

phyzon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hey guys, i have recently built up a new system, comprising of the following. Asus Crosshair MB, AMD x2 5200+, 2gig kingsington ram, MSI 8800 GTS, WD 320gig Hdd. running win xp SP2

the problem is when i try to play Half life 2 or Counter strike, in the main menu screen of the game after the first lil bit has loaded the graphics go crazy. bit missing, distorted objects.

counter_strike_stuffed.JPG

see what i mean.. anyone got any ideas?

thanks for your help

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glitches like that are usually related to heat issues...

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Also... Have you installed the most up-to-date drivers for your motherboard (aka the chipset drivers) and video card? If not, then I suggest you go and download and install those as well.

Fenor

phyzon

phyzon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey fenor, thanks for your reply, it does seem that i have a problem.. but somthing weird is going on.. in 32 bit xp it says this..

cpu_temps.JPG

and in xp 64 bit.. it says this..

xp_pro_64bit_cpu_temps.JPG

so i don't know what to belive!?.. anythoughts? or anymore info you need?

thanks again

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Although Speedfan displays that you have one fan(heatsink fan), I presume your system can hold more than just the one three-pin fan, so would advise you install at least another fan for this kind of system as they obviously do get very hot and need proper cooling.
From the speedfan temperature readings, I'd say the difference in temperatures were displayed because you had the system running for different lengths of time. SpeedFan can also misread information - for instance, it is known to jump from reading 40C upto 85C in a split second. I'd say the "32 bit" readings are probably the correct readings and can only advise you make sure nothing is blocking the graphic card heatsink or fan as well as any other system fan present to increase the air flow in your computer. Adding extra fans also can't harm your system, as long as they are situated in the correct position.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes more fans are what you need. Make sure you have one fan at the front of the case blowing air IN and one at the back blowing air OUT.

Fenor

phyzon

phyzon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
fenor, my case has two fans like you said. the only thing that i'm not understanding is that why would the 64 bit xp say its one temp, then when i restart and use the 32 bit xp it says its so much hotter. also it CS plays fine in the 64 bit xp. would it be a software problem with xp 32bit?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
A lot of programs are not entirely compatible with 64-bit versions of XP. I would trust the temp's shown by the program in 32-bit windows. As for the two fans, did you make sure they are blowing the correct way like I stated in an earlier post?

Fenor

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The 8800s tend to run pretty hot. As long as it stays under 85C or so (while gaming), you should be fine.

I notice you didn't mention in your system specs the model and manufacturer of your power supply?

phyzon

phyzon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah i have made sure the fans are right, i used a piece of paper in front of them, i don't think it is the graphics card getting hot, its the CPU.

when i was installing the heat sink over the cpu i was having a bit of trouble, and was placing it on and off a few times to get it right. maybe the paste between them didn't make a good seal. i'm sure the heat sink is on properly tho.

PS.. the power supply is Zalman ZM600-HP 600w Power Supply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would agree that the cpu is overheating. I suggest you get some good Arctic Silver Thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink. Make sure you clean off all the old 'goo' that is on the heatsink and cpu before applying the new thermal paste.

Post back with a new screenshot if your temp's when you have done this. Of course only run the program in 32-bit xp and not 64-bit. :whistling:

Fenor

Advertisements

phyzon

phyzon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i am overclocking it too, but just a bit, should i just get a propper cpu cooler?
eg...

12512_large.jpg

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Overclocking is useless with today's processors/video cards. Set the clock speeds back to normal. Hopefully you haven't caused permanent damage to any of your hardware in doing so.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And yes, a proper CPU cooler wouldn't hurt either. Just don't overclock your processor, unless you like buying new hardware every 6-12 months.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 February 2007 - 03:43 AM.

phyzon

phyzon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
cool.. thanks heaps for your help mate. i'll keep ya posted

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Let me know how it goes...