Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Booting Problem

• Please log in to reply

Schumi78

Schumi78

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

I don't know if this is really a hardware or software problem, but because of the symptoms, I'm thinking maybe hardward so I've put it in this topic.

My parents computer won't boot up. It seems to post (if I understand the term correctly). Hopefully the screenshots made it up. The first one shows that the HDD and CD-ROM are detected along with the memory on the first screen and all looks good. But the computer hangs on the next screen that you will see. I don't get anything like a BOOT DISK FAILURE that I've seen before when Windows became corrupt and needed a re-install or the HDD had crashed. We just get a hard hang.

One thing that does really concern me and I'm lost is that when I power it on, it doesn't start up right away (like the power supply is chugging away same when starting your car engine). What I hear is a very high pitch noise coming directly from the power supply, then after 5-10 seconds, the power fully kicks in. I listened to the HDD and it seems to be spinning fine and the CD-ROM works since if I put in the Windows installation disk, it want's to go into the installer.

I can't even get into the BIOS of the system from hitting DEL on the first screen because all the lights come lit up and say lit up on the keyboard when it powers on (caps lock, num lock and scroll lock) and won't accept any input I guess. Something is definetely wrong there. When the power is first turned on and I hear the high pitch sound, the lights turn on the keyboard as mentioned above, but very dim like minimal power is getting there. After the 5-10 seconds, they light up fully when the fans start spinning, etc and the power seems to be full in the system. Also, just thought that I'd mention, the power light directly on the motherboard is always on so I know some power is getting there.

Ever seen anything like this before, or suggestions on what it could be? I still want to take the HDD out and try it in a another machine as a slave when I get a chance so I can rule out that it's not defective.

Thanks for your help!!!

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05293.jpg
  • DSC05294.jpg

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If it will boot to the windows installation CD, you could try doing a repair install. See the guide at http://www.geekstogo...l?showtopic=138

Schumi78

Schumi78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If it will boot to the windows installation CD, you could try doing a repair install. See the guide at http://www.geekstogo...l?showtopic=138

Hi austin_o:

I guess if I try this feature and it doesn't resolve the problem, then I can probably assume that it might just be a hardware problem and not a software problem. The only thing I have trouble with is what hardward is causing this, HDD, Power Supply, memory, etc :whistling: I would hate go go buy a HDD and find that is not the problem or a power supply, etc. Could get costly... I still plan to at least remove the HDD and put it in another machine as a slave and see if it can read from it. If not, either Windows got wiped out or the HDD has failed. What is interesting is that I've seen a message on the second boot screen like HARD DISK DRIVE FAILURE, etc. when the HDD has crashed. I'm not seeing this this time, and it's recognized at POST.

I'll give your suggestion a go when I get a change tonight and post back how it goes.

Not that I disregard your suggestion, just curious if anyone else has experienced the same type of thing?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you have another computer you can put the drive in (jumpers set to slave) give it a try.