Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux vocemail server?

• Please log in to reply

binsch

binsch

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I was wondering if there is such a thing as a linux voicmail server distro or any distro that could accomplish the same thing as one. Also what kind of features would it have and what are minimum specs.

just to clarify, when i say voicemail server i mean a computer that connects to a phone line and manages the voicemail (ex: for a business).

thank you very much
-ben

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Asterisk? http://www.asterisk.org/

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
that looks really cool but i went to the website and its confusing to find the features and whatnot do you know what they are. any other suggestions would be helpful

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.asterisk....ort/get-started
follow the links...you'll find the info you want

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
sorry another question
does the computer need a special card to be able to connect to the phone system (in this case toshiba)

EDIT: yeah turns out the software is free but to connect the server to the phone system you need an $800 card

Edited by binsch, 14 February 2007 - 07:39 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...to connect to a phone system you need something like a brooktrout or other such multiline card...it's never free hehe