Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do you reinstall xp from a partition

• Please log in to reply

zimman

zimman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone

Here is the problem. My friend has a computer with win XP home. The computer didnt come with a cd for xp, it just had a partition with the OS on it. He has formatted the other partition and installed a copy of win xp pro but it was pirated and now he cant get sp2.

My question is....is it possible to access his partition with win xp home on it and install it even though he has formatted his other partition?
when i try to access D drive at says "drive needs to be formatted"

sorry if this sound confusiong :whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If the recovery partition that holds the WXP files is intact, then he should be able to reinstall. What brand computer is it? This will determine the key sequence that will allow him to enter the recovery console to do the install.

zimman

zimman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it an HP pavillion 522n

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
See this link - scroll down to Recovering During Startup (from the hard drive). It looks like pressing the F10 key after the first splash screen will take you to the recovery console.

Good luck!

zimman

zimman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for your help