Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble installing Adaware

• Please log in to reply

geodava

geodava

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this. I recently restarted my computer which I often have to do because it freezes a lot ... anyway one time recently I had to restore my registry ... there were some changes- which I expected re: shortcuts, etc. Anyway, my Adaware shortcut was gone and I could not find the program except for the file containing the logfiles. I recently downloaded the latest adaware personal (which is compatible with win98) but when I tried to install it I go this message right away:

"Error1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Could someone please help me get around this so I can install adaware again?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can aid me in thie.

-David

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hmm, error 1721 and Windows 98 is pretty much undocumented.

This might help, download this and give it a run, restart the computer and try install Adware again.
http://www.microsoft...02-DE3BB768148F

Failing that, this might help:
http://support.micro...kb/290301/en-us

geodava

geodava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for the response, but it did not work. I got a message saying "the specified service already exists" when I tried to run it. Any more ideas?

Thanks!

geodava

geodava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
(update)

I guess that these programs are a sort of zipped set that unzips itself ... when i used winrar to extract the files it worked fine and i just added a shortcut to the new file. Works fine now ... not sure what the problem was before but it is fixed now.

Thanks for your help!