Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB wireless adaptor

• Please log in to reply

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I wanted to buy a decent USB wireless adapter but there are so MANY brands and I've read so many different rumors I'm scared to buy one that is going to suck.

I am looking for a adapter G/B/A compatible with at least 54/kb any higher would be a plus. I've looked every where for a decent deal. Does anyone have any brands they would recommend for this?

Thanks for the advice.

:whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I own two Netgear adapters, and they work nicely :blink:

Have a look at this... (Click here for link)

This one uses USB to connect, and allows 108 MBPS speed. It's about as fast as your wired connection :whistling:

Software was pretty easy to install.

The only con is that the thing gets pretty hot after about a minute. This won't cause anything to catch fire or make it stop working, but it would be uncomfortable to touch. You can buy this in stores such as CompUSA, Circuit City, and other electronics retailers.

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
hey Stormknight thanks...

Now something I was reading about is some of the linksys software doesn't seem to work on anything under XP...how about the netgear.....does it have problems with any other types of OS (linux, Mac, Win ME?) etc?

108 is pretty fast. I like that number. :whistling:

UPDATE: I checked that page and looked over how it works I am a bit worried...it seems the more distance you have between you and the router the worse the speed gets. Is this all brands of USB adapters or just this one?

Edited by pyron81, 15 February 2007 - 04:11 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, it's wireless. It doesn't matter what adapter in the world you have, the further away you go, the less signal you get. Some with wireless phones. If you need more space covered, then you can always get a bridge, which is an extra antenna with a wire. You can also get a better adapter, made for longer ranges. Only thing is, you'll be spending more money.

As for compatibility... You need to have Windows 2000 or XP in order to use the adapter we're looking at. Will that be a problem?

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Yeah I am thinking I need more of a universal adapter....at least one that could run on different OS's if there is such a thing without a headache. I haven't done enough research to know if there is something that is simple. I might be willing to buy one if it did ALL windows OS's and not just 2000/XP. :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, I suggest browsing the Netgear website for some. They might have something more along those lines. We'll look into Linksys as well.

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thank you for your help Stormknight.