Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help solving laptop problem

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The laptop is a Sony PCG-K35.
3.06ghz, 512m ram, 80g hd.
I bought a new battery.

The laptop will not run for longer than 20 minutes using AC power with battery installed.
Then it tells me to switch to AC power even though the AC power unit is connected.
The AC power units green LED is on and the voltaqe measures 19.5 as it should.

The laptop will not run at all on AC power with the battery removed.
Sony says it should.

I suspect the power control board is defective and should be replaced.

Any ideas?
Any help will be appreciated.

Also, where is the best place to buy parts for laptops?

Thanks,
dlw

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If it were mine and out of warranty:

this first step will probably do nothing but I would do it anyway. Shut down, unplug, remove battery, hold power button in for 30 seconds and release. Leave the battery out, plug in and try and boot up. Anything?

Re-seat RAM. Try it again....

If it's still no go.....I would take it apart and re-seat everything and blow out the dust. Sometimes oxization builds up and will no longer pass current. By re-seating connections, this will break down that invisible oxidation and provide a better connection.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would also make sure that your not using any kind of hibernation or standby features....

Are all of the screws (on the bottom of the unit) in place and tight. I'm trying to remember a similar post on another board a couple of years back. Everyone was stumped...until a certified tech (for that brand) said that one particular screw had something to do with grounding. He said to make sure it was tight....that's all I can remember.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's something else you might want to take a look at:

http://www.laptoprep...r-jack-problem/

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
deleted after further review...........

edit...thinking about it some more. the link about the power jack is probably your best bet.....

Edited by macten, 15 February 2007 - 12:25 PM.

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The power jack on this particular laptop is not on the motherboard but has a power regulator board. A wiring harness connects the two. I'm trying to locate a power regulator board for it now.