Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network running Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

phoneguy19

phoneguy19

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a wireless home network that is supporting an older desktop machine (via CAT5 cable) running Windows ME, and 3 newer laptops which connect via wireless running Windows XP. I have an old HP Laserjet printer that I would like them to share, but I am having trouble getting it recognized on the network. This printer is connected to the wireless modem via CAT5 cable as well as via printer cable to the desktop machine. When I open the 'Entire Network' folder on the desktop, the printer does appear on the list. I suppose there is a trick to this, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I'd appreciate any help that you might provide.

Thanks,

phoneguy19

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I guess Ill try and get some more info. Do you want to use the ME machine as a print server and share it out like that? Or is it a network printer that does not need to be connected to anything. If it has an ethernet card then you should be able to give it an IP address on the printer. Lets start there then we will know where to go. :whistling:

phoneguy19

phoneguy19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the reply. The machine does have an ethernet card, and I've actually (foolishly) tried to simply connect and then access the printer from one of my laptops. Of course that did not work. But, yes, if I can assign an IP address to the printer, that would be ideal. If that won't work, I guess I could use the desktop as a print server if you can walk me through it.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If the printer has an ethernet card that may be the easiest. What is the make and model?