Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Problem

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, this is going ot sound a bit silly, but I have not worked with dial-up for a while so I want ot make sure i have the right info. I am giving my laptop to a friend that is going to need a modem for a dial-up connection to check e-mail, etc. THe modem that is built in the computer does not work at all. I am not sure why, but it never has worked. Needless to say, I was going to buy an external modem for him and send it along with the computer. (This guy is in another country and this is a gift for him). My question, that will seem totally silly and probably make everyone here think I am a total idito is this. When i get a modem, must i get a voice/data modem for internet access or would he be able to use a regular fax modem for this purpose? See, I know it is silly, but i relaly need to know to set it for certain in my mind. It is just very important that this work when it gets to him as he would not know how to fix it or anything. Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
either voice/data or data/fax will work...i don't know that it's possible to just get a fax modem anymore...but when's the last time i wen't modem shopping? as long as it's capable of data it should work for dialup.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks, and sorry for the goofy question.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked...(or where's the "any" key?)

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
LOL, good point, and I have actually had people ask me that before. took all I had to keep from laughing while talking to them. Of course, the other are "What is the phone number for 911?" Anyway, thanks again for the help.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Just curious, what country is he in, because IIRC different countries might have different modem things.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
He is in Haiti