Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new DVD player - won't work

• Please log in to reply

GypsyJim

GypsyJim

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Newly installed H-L DVD Model GCC-4480B. Drivers installed. Windows 2000. Message is
"DVD Player cannot play this file". Windows Media Player 6.4

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
That windows media player is pretty old. I think the latest for W2000 is 9.0

Install the latest DirectX which is 9.0C....I think.

What kind of file are you trying to play. I know with movies you have to install a DVD decoder. It's software that should have came with your drive. Perhaps that's what you mean when you say the latest drivers are installed.

GypsyJim

GypsyJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
it is a used DVD rom, and i found a driver for it. it is installed properly with no conflicts, but when I try to play a DVD i get a message that says- Failed to query the needed interfaces for dvd playback, I just upgraded windows media player and get the same results.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Is that DVD a movie?

GypsyJim

GypsyJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes it is, i have tried several.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
your probably out of luck. you need a DVD decoder to play that movie. when you buy a new dvd drive they give you a disk with a dvd decoder on it. you could try the manufacturer of the drive....

I just went through this problem with my Cendyne dvd drive. I tried to install the software but it required a key which is probably in a box in my storage unit. I tried the manufacturer of the software but I can't get another key. It will have to wait till I move....

I've looked on the Internet and can't find a free decoder....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
thinking about it....I believe I saw dvd decoders for sale. You'll have to do a search on 'dvd decoder' and then try and determine if it will work with your drive. There are no free ones that I'm aware of....