Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADSL Wireless - Connection drops from 54 to 1...

• Please log in to reply

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi there :whistling:

I have a NetGear wireless ADSL router (unsure of model but its a DG* prefix) which I got with my broadband package. I followed all setup instructions and managed to get connected to the router, including setting up encryption etc. Windows XP tells me I am connected to the network and to start with, the system tray icon tells me I am connected at 54mbps, signal strength excellent. I can surf the web and download stuff no problems.

After a few minutes, at what appears to be random times, the connection seems to slow down or drop. When I check the system tray, the connect now says only 1mbps. It still says connected and signal strength excellent, but I can no longer access the net or do anything. I have to manually disconnect from the network and reconnect and all is well again (until it drops again).

I can connect to next doors (unsecure!) network no problems and that never seems to drop out.

Please can anyone advise what the above symptoms may suggest? I appreciate I am being rather vague but let me know what other info you need and I will try to get it and post it here.

Many Thanks :blink:

Advertisements