Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COM+ Event System error every few minutes

• Please log in to reply

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My OS is Windows XP Home SP2 (fully updated)

In Event viewer / Application, I get the following warning every few minutes:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (52)
Event ID: 4356
Date: 15/02/2007
Time: 13:58:05
User: N/A
Computer: PECO
Description:
The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{58FC39EB-9DBD-4EA7-B7B4-9404CC6ACFAB}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 80040154.

What does this mean? How can I solve this problem? Does the COM+ Event System have to be running on my PC or can I disable this service? I understand that it relates to SENS - what is that and do I need it running too? What is the meaning of life in the context of a runaway universe? (These and other questions are confusing me right now!)

:whistling:

Edited by Robster the Lobster, 15 February 2007 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831648
give that a read...that hotfix seems to apply

the meaning of life is 42

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
uhhm ... thanks, but this Microsoft article is way over my head. I get the impression that it applies to a computer that's part of a network attached to a server (?) I'm a home user with an ADSL Internet connection. Is my PC a client computer? (I'm a complete rookie, you see!). Also, my error is different to the one quoted in the Microsoft hotfix article, which has this description:

"The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber {C2F23AE4-82D8-456F-A4AF-A2655D8CA726}. StandardCreateInstance returned HRESULT 8000401A."

My error message has this description:

"The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{58FC39EB-9DBD-4EA7-B7B4-9404CC6ACFAB}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 80040154."

So even if I was clever enough to apply the hotfix (just reading the instructions turns my brain to scrambled egg), I doubt whether it is the right one!

Again: What is the COM+ Event System and do I need it running at all? And what is SENS?

(The meaning of life may have once been 42, but since Adams died, the universe has run away ... a long way away!)

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Interesting! I turned System Restore off, rebooted and then turned it on again, and now I'm not getting those error messages any more. Does that make sense? (What is a "subscriber partition" anyway, and what's the possible link with System Restore? Does COM+ Event System have any connection with System Restore?)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...i'm not sure of the "subscirber partition"...but i'll research today....i believe thta sys restore does interact with com+ (most things do)...but not sure on the direct connection...i'll see about researching for you today

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.micro....com/kb/331697/
still no idea what the subscriber partition is...but...this claims that it should have been fixed in SP2...no real help here

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, thanks, I'd read that article too. The event ID is the same as mine, but the HRESULT is different (I've no idea what that means, but thought I should point it out). Anyway, I'm no longer getting those application warnings. As I said before, they stopped after I turned off System Restore (thereby deleting all system restore points) and turned it on again. I don't even know whether whatever was initially causing the warnings was something to really worry about. It's all Greek to me! :whistling: