Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wonky Driver Issue

• Please log in to reply

-Problem-

-Problem-

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Problem: Can't update drivers for Intel 82845G. Auto-Install fails ("Access is Denied"), and trying to do it manually does as well ("Unknown Error"). Pretty much clueless as to what to do.

Background: Haven't installed anything new recently. Started noticing problems while playing an online PC Game right after one of their updates. Little hiccups here and there (freezes), but big troubles when accessing one specific part of the game (complete crash: "ialmrnt5 display driver" error message leading to manual restart via ye-olde plug in the wall). I mention this because the game employs the less-than stellar "GameGuard" Anti-Hack Program, and I've heard other people complain that it has wonked out their drivers/various stuff as well.

Anyways; I tried updating the drivers to no avail, then tried to tweak some in-game settings to see if that would help. Of course, the game crashed and upon restart/checking through the Device Manager I got:

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

But reinstalling won't work. It will go through the motions and fill the progress bar, but ultimately fail ("Access is Denied"). Good peoples of Geeks to Go: Any help?

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi there.

First things first, have you tried to install the drivers directly from the manufacturers website? Is the graphics also having issues during 'normal' windows use? For instance, when the drivers were installed, did the display have any problems? Did this problem arise once the game was installed and played? If 'yes', I suspect the game is to blame and could possibly have produced malware on your system, which is effectively stopping you from overwriting the driver installed for your graphic card.
If installing the drivers from the manufacturers website don't work, I suggest you run a HiJackThis log and post the results in the Malware section. Further details on how to do this can also be found in the Malware section.

-Problem-

-Problem-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, thanks for the response.

- Yes, I tried installing them directly.

- Had no display problems at all except for in-game until I tried to update/reinstall the drivers. Now it's wonked and I had to system restore just to get out of the lowest res possible.

- The game has been installed and played frequently w/out incident for a long time. However, the game/anti-hack prog updates about every 2 weeks and the problem directly coincides with the latest update.

- After running virus, mal/spyware checks and Hijack This, I didn't see anything suspicious, but I'll post a log anyway.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by -Problem-, 16 February 2007 - 01:46 PM.