Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build will not find bootable device

• Please log in to reply

Matt D.

Matt D.

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just built my new Computer (my first) and have a Boot issue.

I have the D975XBX2 Board with the q6600 CPU.
When I start the Computer it is Scanning for Controller. Sometimes it just hangs up after a while - sometimes it gives me a :"Warning - Something wrong with Controller" Warning.

At other Times it will look for a bootable Device and then tells me
PXE-E61 Media Test Failure check cable
PXE-M6F Exiting Boot agent
No bootable Device

Well i changed out the cd drive (it shows up in BIOS) as well as the cable.

HELP, Whats the problem? The Motherboard is bad?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This message means the computer can't find anything that it likes to be able to load Windows from. Therefore its trying to boot off the network controller on the board as it doesn't have a lot of choice. A computer by default will try to load an operating system from whatever it can find.

The solution to this problem, if the board isn't offering you choices to boot from CD or Hard Drive, is to go into the BIOS and change the boot options. Then you need to get Windows (or any other operating system) onto it before it'll even try to boot off the hard drive.

Matt D.

Matt D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, in Bios the Boot-order is
CD/dvd Drive
Floppy(dont have one)
HD
Ethernet

After I turned of the Ethernet option it cant find anything to boot.
How come? CD Drive is plugged in, so is my harddrive.
So what could i still do to get it to boot up? I have windows ready as soon as it will find a device to boot from!!