Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro...

• Please log in to reply

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hey,

Is it possible to change the entire language of the OS to English?

My brother who lives in Portugal gave me a computer with the Portuguese Windows XP Pro on it...and my Portuguese ain't too good (shocking cos im half portuguese :blink: )

Cheers :whistling:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
As far as I know no, sorry, you can change the keyboard to english and add programs that are in english but if the xp is in portuguese then you will have get an english xp os, or you could go for dual boot, for example with linux leaving the xp os as it is, one point though check to restore disks because sometimes they are in other languages, for example here in swiss they give you german french and italian (ah but not english)

Edited by fleamailman, 17 February 2007 - 04:39 PM.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Ohh well, I think I will just purchase a new copy of Windows XP and reinstall it...or I could install SuSE or Ubuntu...go for something different :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Try MUI, its Microsoft's' Multilanguage User Interface, my OS is in Spanish and i would have installed MUI but it wont work with XP home, Only Pro. Good luck downloading it. Ill see if i can get it for you :whistling: . By the way its about 6CD although for English you only need CD1 i believe.... not sure.

-OCM770-

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OCM770-, think he has home too if his signature is it but it is certainly worth knowing thanks,

btw if you do go for the dual boot idea, first try the live cd and boot off it since that will tell you if any drivers are missing, I like kubuntu linux running firefox since they even paid the postage of the free CD though other os are good too.

Edited by fleamailman, 18 February 2007 - 07:54 AM.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well if you could try and get me the MUI for it that would be great...! :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Sorry, BARROS, I couldn't get the images but you can probably get them at your local computer shop, cheap i guess. Post back if you can't get them there, or just simply post back to tell us the result please.

-OCM770-

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Im not too bothered, I think im just gona install Linux on the machine as a try out for Linux...just to get used to it.

Cheers anyways :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Oh well thanks for the reply though, Its not nice helping someone and then not getting an answer back :whistling:

-OCM770-

P.S. Viva Firefox!! Down with IE, let it burn to ashes, along with the "Windows is stable" theory :blink:

Edited by -OCM770-, 20 February 2007 - 04:42 PM.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Oh well thanks for the reply though, Its not nice helping someone and then not getting an answer back :blink:

Tell me about it :whistling: