Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia 7800 GS HELP please

• Please log in to reply

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I got this new card uninstalled my radeon driver now I can't get past agp.sys
can't enter safe mode
I turn the computer on, I can see everything right up to the part where it says windows xp and I see the little action bar moving and then it goes totally blank. My monitor works, the card works, but once windows xp loads I get a blank screen. All I need it to do is display, I cannot start this computer in safe mode. Is there another way to install the driver?

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi there. By the sounds of things, your graphic aperture size is set incorrectly in the BIOS. As you have not provided the model of your previous card I obviously cannot check this - but the symptoms you describe are known to happen when this is the case. What you need to do is reboot your computer and press the Del key at the boot screen. This will open the BIOS. You then need to systematically look through your BIOS settings until you find the AGP Aperture size, which you will then need to adjust. I presume your previous card had either a higher or lower AGP Aperture size than your new card, and hence why it does not display properly. For instance, if your old card had 128mb of onboard memory and the new card had 512mb, you will need to change the Aperture size from 128mb to 512mb. Save the BIOS to the CMOS (Usually called 'Save and Exit'), this will then reboot your system. Hopefully then your graphic card will work. If not, please reply in this thread.

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can you tell me what heading this is under in the bios?

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi there. I personally do not know as BIOS vary greatly from system to system. If you can post your motherboard model and revision number I will happily attempt to look it up for you.

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ASUS p4 B and revision is 1.03

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
tried changing the apature size and it is still doing it. Windows will almost totally load but then just stops with the blue bar continually scrolling.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
So is Windows now freezing upon the Windows loading screen or is the display still cutting out like before?

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
like before windows continues to load it almost gets there then the screen goes totally blank. All I did was have it on default settings for everything in the boot menu, set to 128 and nothing is different at all. What else can I do? I cannot start in safe mode at all either.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Do you still have access to your old graphic card? If so, try putting that in and booting the system with the old card. If the old card works, then your new card must have a fault.

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Already tried it exact same thing happens

Advertisements

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The old card was a radeon. Took the radeon card out installed the nvidia 7800 nothing happened. Put the old card back in booted up fine. Uninstalled the driver for the old card. Put in the new nvidia still nothing. Went back to old radeon lost it too. Windows loads all the way up and just before you think it is going to work it goes blank. Something in windows. Can't do a Safe Mode stops and hangs at AGP 440 sys 32
Don't know what to do.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hm, does your motherboard have onboard graphics? I have looked at a website review of your motherboard and it seems to say if your AGP slot is damaged, there's a red LED light that lights up beside the AGP Slot - is this present?

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
not that I know of and there is a green light next to the pci slot number 3

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
This issue may occur if Windows XP tries to use an incompatible motherboard chipset video driver during startup. You will need to do the following:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
6. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
7. Press ESC.
8. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
12. Log on to your computer.

Your graphic card should boot up properly now:)

leeleeaub

leeleeaub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
We can't find our windows installation cd is there a way to get one off the internet?