Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD ROM/DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

welshjohn369

welshjohn369

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have an ACER ASPIRE E500 Tower PC, I have just reformatted the hard drive mainly because my CD-ROM/DVD was not working properly. I would sometimes read a music CD and a DVD (in fact I can play a DVD and the sound and movement quality is very poor), but it will not read anything else.

I have just purchased a lens cleaner but of course it is not reading that a CD has been loaded. Any ideas before New Zealand has it's first PC put into orbit!

Advertisements

welshjohn369

welshjohn369

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Have I stummped you all??

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
With a disk in the drive, right click the Start menu, Explore. Scroll to the D:\ drive (or whatever the CD-ROM drive is), and click on it. On the right side of the screen should be a list of everything on the disk. Do the disk contents show up? Do you get errors? If you get errors, please provide the full error test.

And check the event viewer for additional errors from the same time. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time that correspond to when you are trying to read a disk. Once you have an event open, you can click the "copy to clipboard" icon (just below the down arrow) to copy the error text, then you can paste it in a reply to this thread.

Is your system still under warranty?

welshjohn369

welshjohn369

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
When I look at any CD ROM contents in the way you state there is never anything there. The only things I could find that apply to the CD ROM drive are below, I have no idea what side by side is by the way. These were under systems in the event viewer. No not under warrany now either.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 59
Date: 18/02/2007
Time: 03:07:14
User: N/A
Computer: ACER-4E7C3F64B7
Description:
Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Cdrom
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 16/02/2007
Time: 16:17:53
User: N/A
Computer: ACER-4E7C3F64B7
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 03 01 68 00 01 00 b8 00 ..h....
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 16 00 00 80 -......€
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 70 08 04 00 00 00 00 .p......
0028: b8 2a 01 00 00 00 00 00 *......
0030: ff ff ff ff 01 00 00 00 ....
0038: 40 00 00 c4 02 00 00 00 @......
0040: ff 20 0a 12 4c 02 00 40 ..L..@
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: 00 00 00 00 10 63 3e 82 .....c>‚
0058: 00 00 00 00 08 20 58 82 ..... X‚
0060: 01 00 00 00 0e 81 00 00 .......
0068: 28 00 00 00 81 0e 00 00 (......
0070: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0078: 70 00 06 00 00 00 00 0e p.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 29 00 00 00 ....)...
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are there any commonalities in the disks your drive won't read? Are they all home-made?

The error 51 "bad-block" can indicate bad media or a failing drive.

Check the Device Manager. Righrt click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Look under the CD-ROM/DVD category (or something similar). Do you see yoru drive there? Does it have a yellow ? or ! over it?

If not, uninstall it. Right click over the device and choose Uninstall. Reboot. When Windows loads, it should reinstall the drive.

If it does have a problem, right click over it, choose Update Driver. You should be sure you have the most current drivers. Check the computer manufacturer or the CD-ROM manufacturer website for drivers.

welshjohn369

welshjohn369

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It stated that it is working OK but I uninstaled it and when I booted up a pop up stated that new hardware was found and stated the cdrom/dvd but it still does the same stuff, i.e. not recognise discs, it does recognise DVD's though lol

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Let's look in the registry for a setting that can prevent Windows from seeing the drive properly. If the key isn't there, just close the registry editor.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot. Does the drive read disks properly now?

welshjohn369

welshjohn369

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just returned home and did what you recommend, and success once then alas it returned to it's usual state!!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, that's not good! Let me get some additional opinions. I'll post back as quickly as possible.

welshjohn369

welshjohn369

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Now just to elaborate. Some discs works ROM and DVD and then others don't seem to!! One I places in PRO PUBLISHER just made the whole E Drive freeze, when I cleared the non responsive pop ups my desk top also went. HOWEVER when I ejected the disc the desktop reappeared LOL ... just off to get the noose.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It may be time for a new CD/DVD-ROM drive.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I was wondering of the cdrom drive only recoginized stamped CD's and not computer burnt cd's. If you have problems reading stamped CD's(usually program or music cd's) It is either corrupted autorun drivers or the reading eye is very dirty.

Heres a program that might fix the autorun if it is the problem.

http://www.softwarep...xp-autorun.html

When you insert the cleaning cd the cd drive should still autorun and clean the eye. If it does not then the drive has a problem. You do not usually FIX cdrom drives. The cost has come down so far that its easier to just buy a replacement. A replacement CD-RW/DVD combo drive is only $30 shipped to your door. For only a couple of dollars more you can have a DVD-RW to upgrade the computer for around $36.

Lite-on CD-RW/DVD combo
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106007

NEC DVD-RW
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827152075

If i cannot find the problem with a cdrom drive within a few hours i replace the drive. My customers cannot afford for me to spend much time fixing these drives before a replacement is cheaper. You have spent most of a week on this so i would buy another drive and move on to other things. While its good to troubleshoot problems to increase your skill level, cdrom drives either work or they don't, so i dont spend too much time on them before replacement.

SRX660

welshjohn369

welshjohn369

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This is the response I got from the Auto fix

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2007-02-21 11:06:59]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None