Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup/Reboot Loop

• Please log in to reply

BobinNJ

BobinNJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Start-Up Reboot Loop, 15 minutes ago

Group: Member
Member No.: 208,893

Upgraded from Win ME to XP Home on my second comp. (a Dell Deminsion 4300)
which is going on six years old. at first things looked OK, but after trying to network with my new comp. (wired) old comp. could not be recognized. My tech tried to switch hard drive to new computer to see if it would recognize on the network but to no avail.
Upon replacing drive back in comp., when booting up, it goes to a screen where it scans my c: drive saying things are not correct and when scan is completed it briefly shows that the drive has more than 39 gigs used on a 40 gig drive which before we did the upgrade never had more than 16 gig on it. Then it goes to load XP and it gets to the welcome screen , then goes into a warm boot and the loop starts all over again.

My tech says that the hard drive has to be cleaned up, but since the comp won't get out of the loop, that can't be done. He says take the drive out of the machine and put it into my new comp and then backup/copy it to my external hard drive, then put it back into the old comp and do a new install of XP (Not an upgrade) which will erase the drive and install XP.

Tried putting it into the new comp, but could not get the new comp to recognize it at all, and since I'm not much of a "Geek" i'm at a total loss as what to do without spending bucks and not knowing if i should just kick it into the garbage and invest in another computer to limit my losses.

Other info: Old Computer
Dell Deminsion 4300
Pentium 4, 1.6ghz
Upgraded to 512Ram
40G HD West Dig

New Comp
HP dx2200
P4 HT 3.0
512 DDR2 ram
160g SATA/300 hd

Business computing/ Not gaming

Appreciate any and all suggestions, and thanks.

Advertisements