Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network cabling qustion - help!

• Please log in to reply

barryk

barryk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi - I have a router with 4 Ethernet connections on the back, one of which I use to connect my desktop via the regular (blue) Ethernet cable. I want to be able to run a cable from my study to another room (thru the walls) and have Ethernet wall sockets at each end. I want to then connect my router to the wall socket in my study & connect (eg) another computer in the other room to that wall socket. What sort of cable should I use to run between the rooms from socket to socket? Is it unshielded twisted pair or patch cables or ?

many thanks

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Do the wall sockets have plug-ins on the back of them? If so you can just use a standard CAT5/6 cable preformed.

If not, you will have to splice in the same type of cable to the back of the RJ-45 port on the wall outlet.

Also, just to clarify, you won't be running cables "socket to socket" (eg. in series). You would have to run the cables from each connector to a centralized location (where the router is).

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi barryk and welcome to Geeks to Go. Cat5 cable is the way to go. You can get the cable and jacks at Home Depot (much more reasonable than any computer store like Compusa etc). Here is an excellent resource that will give you details: http://www.homenethelp.com/