Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXP Pro SP2 cannot / will not login

• Please log in to reply

ElCid86

ElCid86

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My PC is normally set to no login and boots to the desktop. For the last few days, it would attempt to boot to the desktop, but the shortcuts and icons would not display and I would be forced to hard reboot. Usually after the 2nd reboot it would come up and operate fine. As of today, I get the Windows "Welcome" screen and there is an icon with my username. When I click the user name to login, it give a message "loading personal settings", then "logging off...", then "saving your personal settings". I can't get to the desktop. I read thru some of the posts here and other places and most seem to point to the wsaupdater.exe, I have looked in the windows and system32 directories and no such file exists.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Could be a bad or incompatible startup item (one that's configured to load every time Windows starts) that causing the problem.

Try holding down the 'shift' key when you click your username to log in. Hold it down to see if the Windows Desktop will load. Holding down the shift key in this way stops all startup items from loading. If it works you then have an opportunity to selectively disable each startup item with 'msconfig' until you find the culprit entry which, when disabled, allows you to log in normally without using the 'shift' key.

Obviously, if it's not a startup-item issue the shift-key method won't help. But it's worth trying.

Edited by pip22, 16 February 2007 - 09:14 AM.

ElCid86

ElCid86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
THanks, the shift-key did not seem to do anything. Still can't get to desktop. I also tried repairing the XP Pro install. Still not working. Any other suggestions?

ElCid86

ElCid86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Can't use CTRL+ALT+DEL from the Welcome screen. Just brings up the normal looking LogOn to Windows box (like a work PC on a network). Can't get to the Windows Flag-key does not do anything. Tried booting with function keys (F1, F10, Del), but none worked to see or control what was loading. Also tried the other MS support ideas. No sign of the Malware. I don't think I had it. Still can't get past the Welcome screen. looks like it wants to log me in, then show logging out and back to Welcome.

ElCid86

ElCid86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just tried creating another user with Admin rights, no luck. Same issue, flashes login then logging off. I guess I'll try a clean Win XP Pro install. Anyone out there??

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi. To clarify, you added a new user in the Administrator security group. Then you rebooted and tried to sign on with the new user, but you got the same thing. Is that correct?

Before reinstalling, you could try SFC (System File Checker). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

ElCid86

ElCid86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi. To clarify, you added a new user in the Administrator security group. Then you rebooted and tried to sign on with the new user, but you got the same thing. Is that correct?

Before reinstalling, you could try SFC (System File Checker). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Thanks, but too late, I already pulled the trigger on the reinstall. Been at it all day and just got fed up. A lot of work ahead of me getting everything reinstalled.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck!