Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive...Lost Data

• Please log in to reply

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Right...I have quite a big problem on my hands.

I have a Seagate 120GB external USB HDD with TONS of my work on...I mean TONS!!
Its FileSystem is FAT32.

The other day, I disconnected it from my computer, where it was working fine, and took it to school 'cause my project was on it. I got there and plugged it into my computer and it didn't work. I thought I didn't connect it properly, but I looked in "My Computer" and there it was, but it was called "Local Disk (F:)" instead of what I had named it. Right. I double clicked on it. It said...
"The disk is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?"
I looked in Properties and it said the file system was RAW, meaning it wasn't formatted.
Oh dear.
I took it home and plugged it into my computer. Same problem. Now...I open up CompuApps Swissknife and look at the drive. It says it is formatted as FAT32. Weird. I plug it into a MAC and look at it using Disk Utility. Says its formatted as FAT32, but I can't reach any of the files in it.

So, what might have caused this? Is there any way of retrieving the files? I know it was formatted as FAT32, but Windows doesn't seem to think so...and MAC won't recognise it. I don't think it could have "self-formatted"....
Is there any way of making Windows recognise it as an FAT32 drive instead of RAW?

I've got loads of my work on there, I mean like video projects, graphics projects, school work etc... and I need some help on retrieving the files.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Advertisements

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Do you "safely remove device" everytime?

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh dear, I forgot to that time cause I was in such a rush. Might that be the problem? What should I do now...

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well if you did forget to "Remove device safely" then there is a big possibility that that could be your problem...

Im in a hurry at the moment, but I think I know of a program or 2 that can restore the work youve lost...i will post back here either tonight or tomorrow and I can look for that program...

Till then...:whistling:

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It looks like your data still there but something definately did go a little haywire so it's hard for the computers to make sense of what's on the drive. What I recommend is "SpinRite 6". It is the best harddrive recovery program I've ever used. It costs $89 but comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and this data seems very important to you anyway. Keep it around too... it has saved about hundred's of GB's spanned over a dozen drives for me.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Edited by MNOB07, 19 February 2007 - 09:10 AM.

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Weird...

I'm gonna try GRC SpinRite 6 now.

I used PC Inspector File Recovery on the drive and it showed all the files....but I couldn't back up the files 'cause the program would crash.

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Right.

I got my hands on TestDisk (from CGSecurity.org).

I analysed the drive and it said that it had a bad jump sector.
Turns out there was something wrong with the boot sector, and that it didn't match the extrapogated files or something like that. I got it to rebuild the boot sector and now its fine.

Would this have been caused by not using "Safely Remove Hardware" or is it a bad sector?

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
So you got it working?

Not using the safely remove device option could possibly cause that problem as your removing it suddenly from the computer without the computer knowing...

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yep, got it working. I think it was a bad sector... or something wrong with the boot sector.

I got the program to rebuild the boot sector, and now its working fine.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
are the usb hdd inclosers powered by the usb or do they have an external power source? ive never used one before

Edited by AnthonyJ, 19 February 2007 - 04:01 PM.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
I think most of them are powered by an external power source... I doubt USB could power a drive to spin up to 7200RPM lol

For Attenttion of DJDaveX -

"Safely Remove Device"

:whistling:

Edited by BARROS, 19 February 2007 - 05:08 PM.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
2.5" external drives are typically powered using two USB cables.

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It is a 120GB 2.5" HDD in an enclosure.

My computer can give sufficient power through one USB cable, although it does come with a double ended "Y-Shaped" cable in case the required power cannot be supplied through one port.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Fair enough, I thought you had a full size external hard drive which would require an external power source :whistling: