Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

soundcard doesnt work after Windows update

• Please log in to reply

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok.. since I couldnt find ANY info about this on the Windows site.... I'd figure to try here.
I'm currently running Windows XP SP 2, MSI Kt4VL mainboard, AMD Athlon XP 2700+processor, 1 GB ram (2x512), Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit soundcard, Ge-Force FX5200 videocard.

OK.. heres the deal.... yesterday I updated Windows.. unfortunately afterwards I couldn't get ANY sound. Windows media player kept giving me a warning pop-up stsating I have no audio devices on my computer... but when I check to be sure my card is working properly and set as default device... everything is fine. I tried the troubleshooter... it had no answers for me (basically it said to check my settings). Anyhoo.. now.. after doing multiple system restores.... and messin round for bout 5 hours I got sound..... but what I need to know is.. what happened? It would probably be best if I had those security updates for Windows, and would like to have them but they cause problems on my machine (on top of no sound it caused media player to freeze)

What happened?
Why does Windows have no support for this problem?

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Did you install Windows Driver Updates as well as Security Updates?